Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror surface quality

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi Cam Expert,

Does any body knows how to create a tool path program that produces mirror quality surface without having to polish?

Thank you

dadang

17 REPLIES

Re: Mirror surface quality

Legend
Legend

Machine, surface shape, material, tool, stepover and surface speed? Turning or milling?

Maybe we could have a little more info, could be polishing lion feces with a router for all we know Smiley Wink

All jokes aside, all the above parameters will probably me more critical than the toolpath. Defining mirror quality would help too. 

Harri

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Assuming you are asking about milling operations that produce high quality surface finishes, we are currently in progress with certain projects that give such output. Other customers are asking for the same thing you are, and they have the latest high-speed milling machines along with quality carbide tooling. Now they want high quality cut patterns that can accomodate such speeds with very small stepovers to produce a finish that requires no polishing at all.

The Guiding Curve and Area Mill - Spiral projects are in development for just this purpose. Currently, key customers and partners have access to these in the Early Adopter Program (EAP). Look for these projects to be released in the near future. Hopefully this will satisfy your needs.

You also have access to other options that can give you the output you seek, depending on what you need. For example, planar operations, such as Floor & Wall, Cavity Mill, Planar Mill and etc., have the Cut Plane transfer option for within regions that makes the transfer motions between each pass stay on the same Z level to eliminate microscopic cusps that could result from the machine not repeating in Z. Also, there is the On Part stepover in Area Mill operations that give a very uniform stepover depending on the geometry you are cutting.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. Be specific about what operations you are using and what geometry you are cutting, and the people on this discussion forum can usually be of help.

Legend
Legend
Wow jkane1, this is splendid news! We do quite a bit of precision optics and the new features would be most welcome!

Harri

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

If you want to catch mirroring surface,You should examine machining technics have reached roughness values.

For example grinding operations which we use in NC machining. Avare Ra is 0.1 micron.Surface quality is mirror quality.

First of all you should check model surface quality not machining quality. If you catch model surface quality,which machining technics is imlemented on surface?

Suggestions:

1-You can use climb cut.
2-Don't use zig-zag patterns.
3-Stepover should be very tiny.
4-Spiral should be used.
5-You can use scallops and optimized levels.
6-Zig pattern can be used.
7-Short tools should be used.
8-Feed rate should be decreased.
9-Well coated tolls should be used.

and so on......

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

How about Synchronized Point Distribution in Area Mill?

Help: Area Mill drive method uses a point synchronization computation method that aligns the too path points to provide a smoother finish.
Does this only happen in Area Milling drive? I see no specific setting for it.

I saw a presentation years back about how this feature combined with the high speed compression within the controller provided better finish.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Dear All,

additional information .

Last week , cam tool (cam software from Japan) did some demo and test cut in Makino Machine which have 12000 RPM and using Ballnouse dia 10 carbide 

After cutting finish I saw the surface result have good quality surface (No need polish any more)

I never made it before. I have tried it by loosen tolerance to 0 and 0.0001 for intol and out tol and use setting parameter similar with cam tool used , but it's still not so good compared by cam tool.
so I need your advice how to do it.

Thank you in advance

dw89mk

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hi dw89mk,

can you share a part?
It would also be necessary to know which machine tool, holder and cutter you are using.

Cheers,
Alexander
Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Legend
Legend

Is there any chance the new toolpaths mentioned by jkane1 might have support for the more advanced transfer methods with on part stepover? A lot of the goodies don't support this, and using on plane stepover is less than optimal in most cases.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@hjoy are you speaking about NCM transfers, or is this in reference to how the cutting motions transition across the part?

Learn online

Solution Information