cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More effective roughing solutions

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

First I want to say this is a serious question and not meant to poke fun @ Siemens. So please do not pile on with negative comments. I also didn’t want to step on a previous post made by Dstryr. One last thing, Im sure most of us are aware of the volumill add on. It is a great tool until the partnership expires with your cam system. I have first hand knowledge of how bad this hurts. I would love to have that functionality back which leads me to this post.

I’m sure many already have…. But I will ask anyway.

Has anyone created an ER for more effective roughing paths. Traditional dynamic milling ( funny to call it traditional, but many other software companies have been adding this in for free for over 5 years and surfcam for 10 years ) and roughing from btm to top to take advantage of flute length and horsepower then stepping back down to hit only the high spots left behind. Sometimes people post great enhancement suggestions, but I always wonder if they actually follow through with filling an ER.

I recently viewed a machine tool builder seminar where they were forecasting the next 5 years of Aerospace work. Its fascinating to hear that a projected 3.8 trillion dollars were to be spent by the big boys in aircraft manufacturing. Many of them are trying to setup production lines like Toyota and Honda in order to create passenger planes on an assembly line. Long story short, they said “ if you’re not roughing Titanium billet and forgings under 15 cents per cubic inch you will be left out of this opportunity”

Damian

13 REPLIES

Re: More effective roughing solutions

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I am all ears for a new roughing operation type.

I would not extend cavity milling for a so called core roughing processor, but create a new operation type.

The possibilities are huge with CM, but the difficulty to set it up correctly increase as features are added.

As a result of this thread I suggest to open one ER or post an existing ER number, so users with interest can ask GTAC to be added to the list of customers interested in this feature.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Legend
Legend
Or we just need to get someone at Apple to start complaining ......
NX11.0.1

Legend
Legend
And don't make it a "separate" license like "tilt-tool" axis.....
NX11.0.1

Pioneer
Pioneer
I think my query fits under this post for more roughing options. MasterCAM, Esprit, Hypermill, and others have 5 axis roughing tool paths. I also once evaluated VoluMill Nexion for their 5 axis package (I evaluated the standalone software and not the NX add-on.), and was quite impressed with it. The problem for us is it took many years to make NX our complete integrated solution for part design, mold design, and manufacturing, and we really don't want to fall back into adding software titles and CAM packages that currently seem to be ahead of NX. I am wondering when NX will have dynamic multi-axis cavity mill capabilities? Even if the tilt tool axis function supported flat and bull-nose tools in cavity mill operations, that would be a great improvement!

Thanks,
Kurt Francis

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think that you can have all of this starting with NX10, see the image below.

tilt_tool_axis_nx10.PNG

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I see the tilt-tool axis as a Band-Aid. It is editing the tool path and is not associative. You regenerate the operation and you LOOSE all the edits. At least that is how it worked in NX9.0 If something has changed in 10 then I would be impressed.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I know that the settings are lost in NX9 and below.

If I remember correctly, they are now stored with the operation in NX10, but I would have to recheck, since it is some time ago that I have been beta-testing NX10.

I know that remembering the settings is at least on the to-do list of development.

On the other hand you might even want to have the tilting removed and use a regular 3-axis tool path with a different tool due to some other limitation in a subsequent use of the nc-program.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I don't believe the NX10 "Tilt Tool Axis" command is any different from NX9, at least in regards to enhancing it for non-ball tools.  When attempting to use the command for a non-ball tool, the only option is "Retract"

nx10-tilt_tool.jpg

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Did you try to generate a tilted tool path?

What was the result?

Remember that NX 10.0.0 is at the stage of NX 9.0.2, NX 10.0.1 will have all the features introduced in NX 9.0.3, NX 9.0.3 MP1 and MP2.

Learn online

Solution Information