Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to NX12 from NX11

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, I'm getting ready to move to NX12 from 11 and I was wondering what the best method for transfering my customizations would be. I have a customization folder where my templates and operations are kept. Is it as easy as making a pasting a nx12.exe into the folder and and then change the start from folder directory or is there more to it? Also, how do I get my customer defaults to transfer over? 

Thanks

30 REPLIES

Re: Moving to NX12 from NX11

Legend
Legend

Operation templates must be redone >.<

Customer defaults you can export and reimport into NX12. The top right corner of the customer default window has the options.

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
REALLY?!?! I spent a lot of time making those. From setting them up to creating the bitmap files and all the customized dialog. There has to be a way to at least merge the old with the new...

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The more you modify the more you need to maintain for each move to the next release.

I would not change the template files shipping with NX, but create my own ones with a custom prefix.

Usually you may just have to point the new release to your custom templates.

I would also follow the advice given in the NX_Custom package mentioned in the "Programming and Customization Forum", which contains all the instructions for building a shared customization for NX.

The release notes always contain the changes to templates and such, so you would need to check if they affect you.

Find them under "NX Help => Release notes => NX Caveats and product notes => Manufacturing => Manufacturing product notes => Tool path and template changes".

Generally it is always mandatory to read through the release notes of all NX applications you use to have a complete overview of what you will be facing.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Legend
Legend

This is why I'm stoked about the new browser style operation templates. The only reason we customize operation templates is to make more options available on the main window so you dont have to jump into menus, back out to main, generate, back into menu , back out to main, generate etc. You will be able to generate inside non cutting moves for example.

Upgrading NX to new releases is always a huge PITA. Even just getting new maintenance releases is the same because there are changes made to commonly used operation templates all the time.

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I followed the instruction on Mark's video a while ago and setup a customization folder for sharing and syncing. I leave the OOTB stuff alone. I'll have to reread through the documentation and see what I can come up with.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
What is this Browser Style Operation Template thing you speak of? How can I see what your talking about?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The explorer style layout of operation dialogs is described in this blog post.

I have reduced customizing of dialogs to the bare minimum, since it is very hard to get existing operations updated and to add the changes over and over again. Too much time wasted for very low return of invest.

Customizing the hell out of NX is definitely leading to suffering from burnout.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Those menu's definitely look and seem that they have quicker functionality than the default ones. I imagine you'd have to redo them when upgrading to a new version though.

Legend
Legend

They are supposed to become the default option standard starting soon. If you look at NX12 it already starts using them in some machine simulation / ISV options

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Learn online

Solution Information