cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi tasking and lathe experience

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Where looking into buying a multi tasking machine, to be more specific a Mazak integrex.

I'm looking for some information from people that use this kind of machine in a production enviroment.

Do u use the turning module in NX to create nc code for turning on the multi tasking machine or do u just program the milling operations?

Is it possible to use multi tasking machines without the turning module in NX?

At our company the operators at the lathe program the part on the machine.

Is any of you using the turning module where the operators can also program the lathe themselves?

I'm trying to get an idea if it's usefull to buy the turning licence...

How large is the company your working at?
With around 25 employees and 20 people on the machines, we are not a big production company.

We also don't have our own products, our main work is small quantities and one-off parts.

Regards,
Sven

NX11.0.1
2 REPLIES

Re: Multi tasking and lathe experience

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We're a big company, so we tend to program everything in NX.

Note that if you do the turning in NX, the IPW will be correct (not that you can't sketch out what it would be if you do the turning on the machine)

But in some areas here & elsewhere, they use Mazatrol for everything, or for the turning only.

Some operators don't like it when they don't write the programs (they feel like they are only "button pushers")

But IMO, you end up with a lot of downtime on the machine (depending on program run length) as it is hard to program while also watching the machine.

I feel I can program turning as fast in NX as the operators can on the machine.  But then I've been doing turning for years, and the NX turning module has the occasional "quirk" that I know how to work around if I need to.

So choose your poison :-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: Multi tasking and lathe experience

I would not program milling off-line and turning at the machine for several reasons.

• Somewhere you need to merge the programs together. How would you automate that? Or would you depend on the operators?
  • I don't know how you could simulate. And for what that machine costs, I expect you want to simulate before you cut on the machine. Maybe G-code simulation after the merge, but that sounds like a terrible workflow to me.
  • Like Ken said, you will not have an accurate IPW in NX. This could be used for milling and drilling operations, and of course verify and simulate. 
  • Using the part model for turning seems more reliable than operators importing a drawing or entering data.
Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information