Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple setup in milling operations

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

how do you manage parts where more than one setup is required? Let say you have to machine part where two setups in vice are required, and at each of them requires own MCS dependent on the part position placed in vice. To be axact I attach sample file how I solve this problem. I usually create two MCS's and two WOKPIECE's one for each setup. Also each setup has separate vice to get proper work instructions. Yes, I know about IPW which can be placed as new BLANK after first setup, but I try not to use that, because of the need to regenaret tool paths and updating IPW after changes creation in parent setup. Second reason I don't use IPW are worse quality tool paths in comparision to e.g. bounding block blank option. But maybe there is dedicated NX option to manage CAM part in different setups?

Jarek, CNC Programmer

Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP19

Testing: NX 12.0.2.9 MP4

Development: Tcl/Tk

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Multiple setup in milling operations

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

We consider using multiple manufacturing assembly part files to be the best practice for managing multiple setups in CAM. Rather than going straight to the Manufacturing application from within the original part file, create a new manufacturing assembly by selecting File-->New and select the Manufacturing tab. From there you can select the template you want to start with and then begin creating your CAM objects.

There are several advantages to doing it this way. First, you protect the design integrity of your original part file. A CAM programmer won't be able to change the geometry of the original part as an assembly component. He can, however, change the shape of a WAVE linked body for the purposes of creating desirable tool path, but the WAVE linked body is a copy. Next, you cut down on file size of the individual NX part files. If you place all the design history along with all of the CAM objects, including operations and tool paths, into one single file, then you will have a very "heavy" file to deal with. Finally, you will improve performance. This goes along with the previous point of reducing files size. Having fewer CAM objects in the setup part will give you improved calculation time when doing things like generating tool path.

See the attached part files as an example.

Legend
Legend

Have you tried using this method below? I often have part files with 3 parts, all with multiple operations. I like being able to jump back to a roughing operation and have the downstream IPWs be up to date with minimal effort. 

Geometry settings.PNG

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP5 Primarily CAM

Experimenter
Experimenter

I use simple layout where root element is MSC_MILL, WORKIEPCE is ancillary to MCS_MILL and another MSC elements related to setups are ancillary to WORKPIECE element. MSC_MILL represents Machine Coordinate System so it's orientation is important for blank. This is effective and very simple to use. Picture attached.

Przechwytywanie.PNG

Learn online

Solution Information