Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC PROGRAMMING - "How to manage in-process workpieces using associative, integrated CAD/CAM"

Experimenter
Experimenter

What is the process if you have a casting?  The video goes from a finished part backwards, but if you have a casting that you have to work from what would be the steps?  We usually have a casting model and a finished model with all the PMI attached.  Would like to have a process that uses both and establishes in process models for CAM/CMM programming for each.  Thanks! 

5 REPLIES

Re: NC PROGRAMMING - "How to manage in-process workpieces using associative, integrated CAD/CAM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It works very well. Assuming multiple operations (holdings).

I would do each holding in it's own manufacturing file.

For the first holding, pick the the casting part model as the stock. finished part is "obviously" the part.

Best practice is to make it a linked body in your manufacturing file... hiding the original

When you get to the second or subsequent holding, for STOCK use the IPW option. 

Browse out to your first workpiece file and click on the workpiece. If your tool operations are under the workpiece in that first file.... this will work

Hit the Update IPW button and you will see the result of the casting model with the tools applied to it from your first operation.

You can do this on and on thru multiple holdings and your original casting will be machined further in each holding.

It is really great because there is a link from all the operations all the way thru. If you change an earlier Operation. just update the IPW in the later holding files and the changes will follow thru.

Let Me Know if this helps. Really an awesome NX Feature.

Paul S.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Lane}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP1}

Re: NC PROGRAMMING - "How to manage in-process workpieces using associative, integrated CAD/CAM

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the help - So do you defeature the linked body with PMI to only those operations you want to do at that stage of machining?  Moving forward in the process not backward correct? 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It's really up to you. You can delete or modify features in your linked body with Direct Modeling or any other modeling process. It's nice to resize features to nominal... many folks provide one sided tolerances.

But you do not really have to, because you have a raw casting model. and if you only machine certain features from operation to operation. Then only the new features added are going to show up in the IPW as it progresses.

PMI... I would imagine you can delete, hide or add any you wish.

There are a couple different way to get a NX model of the IPW.

It is not something that can be exported out of NX, at least that I have found. The IPW is a "faceted solid" So if you are using NX CMM you are all set.

Otherwise, I am still searching for a way to get a faceted solid over to the PC-Demis guys

Experimenter
Experimenter

We have NX CMM and our guy wants it to look like PC-Dmis  Smiley Happy   We are looking at TE Toolkit it is a superudf that has metadata attached and allows you to make the unbalanced tolerances into symmetrical tolerances by a setting on the feature with just a pick.  It modifies the model accordingly and will update the tolerance as well and highlights it on the part navigator so you know its been switched.   Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That sounds awesome. I'd like to be running NX Cmm here. Would help with a few issues.

Enjoy, It really does work well and you should have excellent results.

Paul S.

Learn online

Solution Information