Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCM Dialogue very slow to appear

Phenom
Phenom
Is this machine specific somehow? My reasonably fast laptop (quad core i7 @3.4MHz) takes around 12 sec. the first time NCM is accessed, and only a little less after this. I’ve seen videos from other guys where it’s almost instant. This started in Nx11 and seems to be going on. Wastes quite a bit of time and is irritating. Anyone else seeing this?

Harri
12 REPLIES 12

Re: NCM Dialogue very slow to appear

Phenom
Phenom

It has been slow on all 6 computers I have worked on over the years at various places. Even using the certified graphics drivers has never helped.

I know what you mean though, I have seen other people run it fine with no delay, any they were on low end computers, go figure. 

Those extra 3 seconds times several hundred times a day can really add up and slow down workflow. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP10 Primarily CAM

Phenom
Phenom

Also see this recently posted thread. 

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/Slow-NX-response-w...

Glenn Balon

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks @Kal and @TechniCsNC, in my case the delay has been very bad, around 12 sec, not 3. However resetting dialog memory as described in the other thread by @TechniCsNC has reduced it to about 2 seconds. Still slow but much much better. I used to have time for a quick coffee every time NCM was envoked, quite a few times a day. Will experience severe withdrawal symptoms now Smiley Wink  

/Harri

Phenom
Phenom

I have to take this back, new file, NCM appearing in 7 seconds...

Phenom
Phenom

Was this a brand new file originating from the template files? Or were you opening an old file. Try turning off the setting below in your customer defaults. 

dialog memory.PNG

Glenn Balon

Phenom
Phenom

This was a new file, sent from SE Gateway. I'll try your suggestion @TechniCsNC.

edit: already had the box ticked..

Phenom
Phenom

Try both settings. The description is vague to me. Does it mean dialog is saved between any session, or retained in the part for other sessions?

Either way it is worth a try to see if it helps. 

dialog memory2.PNG

Glenn Balon

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The dialog memory setting creates the "DialogMemory.dlx" file (note it gets created even if turned off)

So (in  the past, or without this setting), you create a block.  In inch usints, it defaults to the values 4 x 4 x 4

So you change it to 1 x 2 x 3, and create a block.

Sometime later (same NX session), you go to create a block, the dialog is now defaulting to 1 x 2 x 3

Now you close NX

Start a new NX session, and create a block.

With dialog memory OFF, the block size reverts to the customer default (4 x 4 x 4)

With dialog memory ON, the block size is the last entered value (1 x 2 x 3)

The trouble (I think) in CAM as there are so many dialogs (i.e. each operation, each tool could be a separate dialog)

So the DialogMemory.dlx gets really huge (I've seen people report 20+ MB) and NX takes 10-20 minutes to start.  Deleting the DialogMemory.dlx file caused NX to start in a minute (or whatever).

Whether or not this effects the NCM dialog, I don't know.  

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

NX11 NCM dialogue is very slow(up to 6s) to appear on all operations except for:
-PlungeMill
-HoleMaking(all)
-Teach Mode(Turning)
-Tube Finish(variable)

I've filed an ER with GTAC...Has anyone found a solution to this...?

Ken.
My NX11 mtx file was approx. 30MB...after deleting it out, NCM went from 15s to 6s.

Kal.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12 | PB 9.0.3.2 | NX11.0.2.7 MP13 | PB 11.0.2 | VERICUT 7.3.4

Learn online

Solution Information