cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 11.01.1.11 Planer Mill Functionality

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Functionality

What purpose dose these changes accomplish?

I would like an explanation as to how it makes the operation better.

Material side vs Tool Side?

Selection/Chaining?

On boundry and Tangent  selections? What has happened too.

First member?

Start Point?

So what happens to all the programs I made last week using NX10 Planer Milling?
How about last month? One year ago ?

I do not understand implementing Hole Milling Functionality/Feature Base Operations into the simplistic generic planer milling module. The Hole milling features are great in Hole Milling. In Planer Milling I find after 24 years of using this product it has constricted the simplicity of simple profile boundary selection and boundary manipulation using curves.

With all the choices of other Feature Base Operation Programming Modules it makes no sense to integrate this functionality into what once was a very easily Simplistic operating feature of NX.

Why fix something when it is not broken? Because something new works well in a New Feature does not mean it will improve an older simplistic legacy feature. This is why customers are asking how to turn legacy drilling back on.

I have created new Operation Templates as the new Feature Base Programming improvements have been made available. I have built an extensive library of Template Operations over the years and use them all on a regular bases in the Scope of programming a wide variety of disciplines.

My Company executives have been trying to switch to a cheaper programming system throughout the Corporation for quite some time, but have not been able to because of the productivity of the programming department at my facility using these simplistic programming features.

Is there something I have missed? Have I overlooked something? Is it just another change that is incomplete?

Simplistic;

The facts of nature and of life are more apt to be complex than simple. Simplistic theories are generally one-sided and partial, wrote the American clergyman James Freeman Clarke in the 19th century, nicely illustrating the difference between plain, ordinary simple and the then-new adjective simplisticSimplistic is generally synonymous with oversimplified, but we didn't have the verb oversimplify and its participle oversimplified until well into the 20th century. Simplistic is sometimes used in the neutral sense of "not complicated" (in which case it is synonymous with simple) but this borders on misuse-simplistic is generally understood to be pejorative.

19 REPLIES

Re: NX 11.01.1.11 Planer Mill Functionality

The boundary UI changes started in NX9, after 3 years of planning. I don't remember all the details, but in general we were updating the dialogs to:

• Make selection consistent with NX
  • Provide on screen display and graphical feedback for
    • Boundary creation and editing
    • Start, End, Direction, Tool side, Tool Position
    • Custom data
  • Show boundary and member selections in lists.
  • Make the interaction less confusing to new users
  • Provide user control of how gaps are closed
  • Support journaling (.net API)

Tool side vs. material side is interesting. This was tool side going back to the 1970's, and continued until V16, when development thought it was better to think in terms of material instead of the tool. For 15 years CAM users complained about this, since they think about the tool. So we changed it back to tool side, and the feedback was completely positive. There was no change to how the parameter is saved in the part - only how it is presented in the dialog, so old operations should keep the same behavior. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You mentioned and explained.

A reverse toggle nomenclature of the Tool Side in Boundaries.
A First member? Changed to a custom member data list.
A Start Point? Changed to a custom member data list.

On boundry and Tangent selections? This Option is activated after it is singularly Selected in the List under members.

Custom member boundry offset? This Option is activated after it is singularly Selected in the List under Members.

What about this change?
Selection/Chaining? option is Gone? Is it no longer an Option?

59holloman wrote:

What about this change?
Selection/Chaining? option is Gone? Is it no longer an Option?

The old chaining is not there because we changed to NX selection, which gives you all the curve rules and intent (Connected, Tangent, Face Edges, Region Boundary, etc).

The old chaining is still in permanent boundaries, if you really need it.

For selecting connected curves/edges from a start to and end, I would look at path selection. It's not directly in the boundary dialog, but you can use Extract Geometry to create a composite curve, and then pick the Composite Curve in boundaries using the Feature Curves intent. 

path_selection.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mr. Reif,

I'm sure, I will have my hands full transitioning the group to accept these changes.

I can here them now. Why is it they constantly reinvent the wheel.

( "Critics" within will stress the opertunity for learning a new.)

In time it probably wont matter, once the new updated Planer Mill is learned,

But time is something it seems is in short supply these days.

Its never a good thing when your Productivity takes a dip for the sake of anything.

Thank you for your help.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I understand making improvements and the dialog box was way old...

Tool vs material side, I'm ok with actually makes better sense

Things I can't live with.....

- boundry plane has to be picked for each profile, used to be assumed for all that followed

- Can't pick to drive on an edge until all curves are picked and then go in and edit

- When you used to extend a curve it it followed the curve, now you get a tangent line, not the same

*personnally I would move the pick order to be the same as old planner milling

- pick the type

- pick the plane

- pick the tool side

- on or tangent *Add it*

- then pick the curve

It's all out of order now!!

Planner milling deserves this!!! it's not going away, floor/wall can't cut it

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Lane}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP1}

Legend
Legend

Yeah Tangent or On needs to be added back to original selection instead of going back.

Would be nice if the plane selection stayed on "add new set" all the time. Sometimes it stays others it has to be reselected

NX11.0.1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have some ERs open against the new boundary dialog:

• 7768685 ... Add ability to change the order of properties of the new boundary dialog
  • 7763605 ... Add possibility to change the initial height of the new boundary dialog

Feel free to ask GTAC to be added to these enhancement requests.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You can add "Fatal Error c000005" to your list.

This one is serious, it kills your session, you loose all file data that has not been saved.

I have experenced five kills this morning already.

Something to do with the mouse while selecting the boundry, Edit Boundry, Edit Boundry Selections.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

59holloman wrote:

You can add "Fatal Error c000005" to your list.

This one is serious, it kills your session, you loose all file data that has not been saved.

You must report this problem by yourself, since GTAC will need the syslog and much more information than shown here.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information