Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

NX 12 Standard Tool Library

Creator
Creator

Good Afternoon,

Im not necessarily new to NX, but have been working in another programming software for the past couple years.

I have not created a standard tool library in NX (I have created tools) and have just recently switched back and updated to NX12 and have a few questions.

I have a spreadsheet I created with all the tool data for various mills, drill, etc. Is there a way to upload this data to avoid entering/creating each tool manually? Or convert the data.

Whats the best way to approach this project?

How can i post this out to my excel setup sheet or is this possible?

Can I customize the shop docs to output to an excel sheet?

Thanks for any help!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: NX 12 Standard Tool Library

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The are (mostly) 2 types of tool libraries

- Text tool libraries (see %UGII_ROOT_DIR%\MACH\resource\library\tool\...) (included with NX CAM base licensing)

- MRL (Manuafacturing resource library) (I believe this has to be purchased, I don't think it is included in any bundle, but I may be wrong)

There is also at least one 3rd party product (TDM) and some obscure/older options that I forget what they are called.

If you write some VB/VBA you should be able to create the text library files required from your Excel spreadsheet. 

MRL is not really structured to do things this way.

Or you can write a journal to create the tools in an NX part based on the Excel file data (I forget if a Journal can directly access Excel, or if you would need to save the Excel data as a CSV for the journal to read), then export these tools to the text library files.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi!

What is the goal of this Excel sheet?

You wrote "to avoid entering/creating each tool manually".

You can manage your tool components and assemblies in the Manufacturing Resource Library in Teamcenter Resource Manager. Doing this will help you to reuse the tool components you have in your shop floor and it will help you to reduce tooling costs significantly. All tools are stored in the database. When you create a new tool assembly, you try to build it at first with tool components that are already available in your shopfloor. Only if it is not yet there, you create a new one in MRL.

If you are interested I can provide more information on MRL.

So long...

Markus

Creator
Creator

Thank You @MarkusDietz

I plan to reuse the components such as tool holders and that’s what i need to create. Essentially a library of the holders and a library of the cutters and then an assy of the tool and holder to make up my "Master tool". I dont have Team center yet...

There is a version of MRL that will work with native mode CAM users.

There is still a TC database, but TC login is only needed for people who manage the tool component/assemblies.

I'd hope Markus can give more detailed info on this option.

Siemens Genius

There are two options to connect NX CAM with MRL:

a)

You can run NX in "native" mode (this means you store your part files in the normal file system) and connect to MRL.

This is called "MRL Connect".

b)

You can run NX in "managed" mode. This means that all your part files are also stored in the Teamcenter database. In this mode you can also connect to MRL and retrieve the tools from there.

Managing the part files and tools in Teamcenter has several advantages. You can for example revise the parts and tools and track the changes. This allows you to see exactly, e.g., what tool revisions were used in a specific CAM setup at a given time or how the operations and tool paths were at a given time. You can also give statuses (testing, productive, phae out, etc.) and implement workflows to approve CAM setups or tools... There are even more benefits.

So long...

Markus

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Ken and Markus already provided some information on the NX tool libraries.

I would like to add more details on the NX libraries and also the MRL tool management solution.

1) You can use the ASCII library text files (NX files tool_database.dat and holder_database.dat)

In these files you can store exactly the parameters NX CAM requires for NX tools (to calculate the tool path)

NX CAM does not know about individual tool components (such as cutting inserts, cassettes, extensions, etc).

These are not managed in the ASCII library.

2) The second product provides a full tool management solution (called MRL, Manufacturing Resource Library)

This allows you to manage all your tools in a database.

This solution provides much more than just the parameters NX requires for the CAM system.

The user can manage all individual components (e.g., inserts, mills, drills, adapters, extensions, etc).

Using the tool components, the user classified the tool assemblies in the tooling library.

Here some of the functionality MRL provides:

• Creating and classifying cutting tools (tool component and tool assemblies)
  • Classify tooling data based on industry standards (DIN4000 / ISO13399)
  • Guided Component Search for knowledge based creation of tool assemblies
  • Create 3D graphics of resources
  • Automatic 3D assembly of tool components
  • Generating resource reports or tool setup sheets
  • View, edit and author documents which are related to the resources
  • Mapping capabilities from electronic vendor catalogs
  • Import vendor 3D tool models
  • Integration with NX CAM for tool search and retrieval
  • Use MRL tools in NX for tool path generation, simulation and material removal

MRL comes with a complete classification hierarchy structure to classify all your cutting tools.

It also provides classes for other resources such as machines, fixtures, technology data (e.g., materials and feeds&speeds), etc...

The MRL tool management solution can be used in two different environments:

1) NX managed environment

These customers use Teamcenter to store all their part files in the PDM database.

The MRL tooling library in integrated into this solution.

2) NX native environment

These customers do not use Teamcenter to manage their part files (maybe they use a different PDM solution)

For these customers the product “MRL Connect for NX” can be used to manage their tool library.

The NC-programmer can use native NX to retrieve tools from the MRL library.

For both environments, there are two roles to create or use the tooling data

a) Tool Engineer

The tooling expert authors the tool library. He creates and maintains the tool parameters and creates

the tool assembly 3D part file.The MRL user interface is used for this stool management task.

b) NC-programmer

In NX-CAM the NC-programmer can search for tools stored in the MRL library.

Once a tool is retrieved from the library the tool parameters are mapped to the NX tool types

and the 3D tool assembly part file can be used for tool path simulation and verification.

MRL_tool_process.jpg

Creator
Creator

Great information guys! Thank you all!

@JoachimA

Unless I’m miss understanding it sounds like the MRL option can be used without Teamcenter. Is this correct? I love the thought of using this as a tool management solution going forward, But team center is not in the budget for the foreseeable future.

Siemens Genius

MRL is part of Teamcenter.

If you want to use MRL, you need TC, as well.

As Markus says, MRL *always* uses Teamcenter.

For the "MRL Connect" product, that TC database works in a sort of "embedded" fashion (although technically it is a full/complete TC installation, the licensing only lets you do MRL stuff)- the NC programmers don't really deal with TC.  (their parts are stored in Windows).  So this is much cheaper (I assume) than a full blown TC implementation, where the NX parts are also stored in TC.

For MRL Connect, the only people who actually log in to Teamcenter are people who need to create tool components, tool assembies, and the like.

Hope this helps you understand...

Learn online

Solution Information