cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 8.5 CAM using FBM and a .stp file

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all, we currently use Feature Based Machining in NX8.5 to program our native NX designs. What we use are UDF's (cavities, ports, etc) that have feature names and parameters that are read into FBM. The only parameters that will change in the UDF's are a Drill Diameter and a Drill depth and a Spotface Depth. This has worked very well for us and we had an outside company write a .vb program to accomplish this. The dilemma we have now is that we need to figure out how to do this with a .stp file from a different CAD system. We've been told that we could possibly use the teach feature to be able to use FBM with these .stp files. We don't know exactly how to do this, or if we would need an outside company to set this up for us. Does anyone have some experience with this or any insight on being able to program a stp file with NX CAM?  

We want to open a .stp file and use the FBM to find these cavity or port names (SDC10-3, SAE 6, etc) and be able to use our existing libraries.

Thanks so much.
Dana McIntosh
Sr. HIC Designer

6 REPLIES

Re: NX 8.5 CAM using FBM and a .stp file

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, Feature Teaching would allow you to recognize such features on STEP geometry (or other non-NX designs). Have a look at this 2014 Tech Tip video that explains Feature Teaching.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for the awesome video.  You make it look so easy and I hope we can replicate that here.  Wish we could borrow you for a few days to show us in person.  I've sent this to our ME and hopefully he will try it out and get it to work.  It seems to me like it will be a big process up front for our 300+ features, but this video makes me hopeful.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you also checked parametric recognition?

We have been able to only use the features shipping with NX and parametric recognition to machine more than 1000 different features.

We only have five custom features that we map to OOTB features after recognition.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Experimenter
Experimenter

No Stefan, never heard of it.  I will do some research and see if it can help.  Thanks so much for your response.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Parametric recognition is recomended to be used since some time now, since it is the only way to also support imported solids that don't have any NX history.

Use a NX session without customization on a part of yours and check which OOTB features you get with parametric recognition. Any face attribute or PMI will be inherited by the machining feature too.Parametric RecognitionParametric Recognition

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Dana,

Stefan is absolutely right. The easiest solution is to use Parametric Recognition in combination with Feature Mapping for those features that are already recognized by the OOTB Parametric Recognition. One example for sure is your DRILL_THRU feature types. These will already be recognized as STEP1HOLE's and you can map them onto your existing DRILL_THRU feature types so that you can continue to use your existing Machining Knowledge.

You should only use Feature Teaching for those features that are not properly recognized by the Parametric Recognition. It's difficult to judge that from your avi, but this may or may not apply to e.g. your SDC16 and/or your 10SF_SAE features.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information