Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NX 8.5 hole making using non native models

Is anyone having success using the hole making / feature recognition options on multi axis parts? I tried using the help menu and make it all the way to the point when it creates the operations. When I try to generate the operations I get this error “ hole axis mapping fail” the reason I’m trying to use this feature is I have read that the drilling is getting phased out and hole making is the way to go. Also using the legacy drilling operation I have a real tough time with clearance moves when drill a series of holes around aircraft structures like wings ( none round ). Currently I’m having trouble on an oval shaped bulkhead as seen in the picture.

My current work around is to edit the drill geometry and use the avoid feature / tool axis and distance to a very high number in order to clear the highest point of the part during rotation. I also use the engage / retract inside the individual operation to for the initial position / move. I have also tried adding in another MCS with a cylinder or shear, but the legacy tool paths do not recognize the clearance from what I can tell.

It just seem there would be an easier way. Our other two cam systems handle multi axis drill so much better without any modifications.

Any advice using NX 8.5 would be great!

Thanks, Damian

3 REPLIES

Re: NX 8.5 hole making using non native models

Drilling in NX is ancient and even in NX 8.5 the hybrid operations are only supporting the clearance plane.

Starting with NX 9 all drilling operations support all the clearance options.

I would start using FBM with NX 9, which is so much easier to set up.

If you are bound to NX 8.5 for some time make use of multiple MCS groups, one for each plane:

1. one MCS group for the six holes to the left of the image
  2. one MCS for the eight holes at the bottom of the image
  3. one MCS for the four holes to the right of the image

We have currently set up everything to machine five sides of a part at once, so we need five MCS groups (top, left, right, front, back), which suites our needs best.

Starting with NX 10, which will be our next upgrade, we will reduce this to one MCS group with a bounding box as clearance Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

And - post could play into a solution. I could see bounding box logic for avoid being incorporated into the post.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

I have used an extra MCS to get an odd ball hole before, but didnt think about grouping a few together like you mentioned.

Thank you.

Learn online

Solution Information