cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX CAM 10 planar mill help

Creator
Creator

Hello, I'm a new registered user on this forum as I'm seeking for help with my problem. I have a CNC machine at home and I'm using NX to get my code, but now I have stumbled upon a problem which I can't seem to solve on my own (I'm just not that good at using NX yet).

I'm trying to cut the box as its shown on the picture with the shown tool, but the only operation subtype I can even select my tool is planar profile, which i dont understand how it's supposed to work.

The pictures below show what I came up with

So I'm asking a smarter person if its even possible to generate a toolpath that will make the tool cut out the material and how, or if someone can point me to a good tutorial on similar subject. Thank you.

ps. I'm apologizing for my grammar as english is not my native language

Untit2led.jpgUntit2led3.jpgUntit2led43.jpgUntitled.jpg

13 REPLIES

Re: NX CAM 10 planar mill help

Legend
Legend
That is the right toolpath
You need to make your boundary open, set your plane to the center of the groove and select the center line to drive off.
Then use a tracking point in the center of the tool to match.
NX11.0.1

Legend
Legend
If you share the file I will do toolpath for you so you can see.
NX11.0.1

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your help, I was able to create a correct toolpath with your instructions and I will post pictures of my result, now I understand the procedure a bit more and I went to create a more complex toolpath next which involves the tool cutting the same groove but along a curve and i found it curious that when i wanted to create a plane along the curve and i selected the option for plane "on curve" the path went along one vector resulting in a path going vertical in linear line from start to end, but when i selected the plane to be automatic the tool went exactly along the curve, but when i did the same options on original groove, by setting plane to "automatic" the tool went in linear line at the bottom of the box and i dont exactly why that happens, I will post some pictures tomorrow to create a more clear picture at where i am now, and thank you again for your quick reply.

EDIT: added pictures

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello! Excuse me this silly question: What kind of tool-type do you use in this example? It only can be a user_defined_tool, right? If not, could you enlighten me?

Werner

Creator
Creator

Hello, yes, it's a user defined tool since i cant find a tool of such type in nx, otherwise in reality this tool is meant to chamfer edges, but I need it to cut such grooves as pictured

Legend
Legend
You could use a normal endmill to generate the path and then use a custom tool assembly tool to generate the right verification.
NX11.0.1

Legend
Legend

The cutting geometry you have can not be cut correctly with a tool like you have shown. There is not enough clearance and you will gouge the part.

NX11.0.1

Creator
Creator
hello, if you mean the clearance between the stem of the tool and the box, i will correct that, my 1st priority was to be able to even create a toolpath as such, i have some more experience with creating toolpaths with normal endmills, since I have a cnc machine at home and i usually cut wood, another problem I had with this project is that i wasnt able to create in toolpath simulation so that i would be able to see the material removal, when im working with normal endmill i am able to create a bounding box so that im able to view material removal in simulation

Legend
Legend

I mean you won't be able to drive that double angle chamfer mill in "3d" and cut the shape you posted accurately.

The part in "7.jpg"

NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information