Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX CAM - IPW error (NX11/12)

Legend
Legend

@opl Can you upload a sample part showing the issue?

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @opl

Let me try to address your concerns with hopefully some advice and additional solutions that may help.

IPW issue: seems to be the hottest issue for you so I'll address it first :-)

I understand the stock and IPW issue and unfortunately the IPW will be based on the geomtry grouping not the program grouping. I see @CAMlupus solution resonable but still worse than your experience in NX8. One other solution I see is to just program the part once @ say -0.3mm stock(or 0.0), controlled by the method group, and save it as xxx_master.prt Then you can do a save-as e.g. xxx_copper.prt or xxx_-03 etc. and just edit the method group to get the stock you want. Generate all and you get it all for free, no copy paste, no hassle with verify and it's easily repeatable. It will halve your programming time at a minimum(as you don't copy paste due to possible human errors)if you use two stock values and if you have 4 different part stocks you cut the time to 1/4 or better. This is what I would be doing.

I used to program a lot of electrodes and we only ever programmed at zero part stock and then we used oversize cutters to get the negative stock required. We built  multi-spindle heads and fixtures with exact spacings. We could cut three versions of the same electrode but different stock values at the same time. Not only did we only program once we sigificantly reeduced the time to create Rough SemiFinish and Finish electrodes. Something to consider if you do make 1000's of electrodes per year like we did.

In later versions of NX there is the ability to turn on the background generation of the IPW for each operation, so as you are programming the 3D IPW is generating for completed operations and vieawable almost instantly for previous operations using the spare cores on your CPU/s. I think you would benifit from this functionality, its much faster than doing multiple static IPWs in previous NX versions.

Disk space is cheap these days and data management can easily handle versions of the master datasets if thats a concern. Even native files it's easy to use naming rules to manage.

Draftng Issue: No details provided but if you would like to let us know I'm sure we can look at resonable solutions or possible test if your issues have gone away.

There is also other (smaller bug). When you go to e.g. 3D Dynamic IPW and generate it:

I tested this and there is no issue with NX12 or NX1847 which is good news.

Shop documentation:

We have introduced a much better solution called Work Instructions. It based on Excel templates so very easy to make and customize. They are associative and will cover your needs I'm sure. I have made quite a few now for Areospace customers so you can imagine the details they require. All managable by the new Work Instruction functionality. You can even output to PDF which simplifies the data you need manage share with the sop floor. If you need any help getting this going I will be mmore than happy to discuss, We could even have a conference call if needed to discuss and get a clear understanding of your requirements. DM me if needed.

I hope some of this helps your frustrations.

Regards

Paul

Pioneer
Pioneer

@CAMlupus

Thank you for reply.

But unfortunately your »solution« is not OK.

First. Let me explain one more time. Its natural, that you have ONE geometry (group). Since you have ONE (same) part (e.g. electrode). You just make different stock’s for different purpose, etc..

In that case its logical, that you change (make groups) of programs only.

And it’s a natural work flow that you need rough (-0,3) electrode first and after that finish one (-0,1) In that case I would expect program working in the same (easy understandable and simple) workflow also. And one more IMPORTANT reason is, that all versions UP TO NX9 worked same and correct way. No matter what.

It should also generate IPW no matter what operations you choose. Even if you leave something (in between) out. If I intentionally select ONLY some of them, should generate only what I selected.

If you want to make IPW of rest milling and take in to account previous operations (and IPW) there is also special dedicated function for that. But in that case I do not want this.

Why everything worked years up to now … ??

Why static IPW worked for years till now?? And it’s superior in terms of speed (and enough accuracy) from 3D dynamic. (but you can simply put higher value in the box for super quality and its anyway way faster than3D)

@Paul_Hartrick

Thanks’ for reply.

The suggestion for making – copying the parts… well this option is absolutely not in my favour. Logically ... having XXX number of (same) parts it’s confusing. Not to mention other problems that appear.

Using oversized cutters is also a thing that is not favourable. I would say its also a thing that can lead to mistakes, etc.. etc..

Shop documentation: Can you generate the SIMPL and I would say BASIC need that would be integrated in the documentation or just listed somewhere: the minimal tool length needed for operation? (there is an option to generate this BUT ONLY for “cavity mill” operation. BUT even this one DOES NOT WORK!)

Bottom line. I would say this is a “bug”... or issue which developers of NX did not think wisely. (as unfortunately many other functions. For instance. Drafting is way, way more fluid in NX8 than .. eg.. 11.. etc.. (cant explain in one word. But simply the fluidity of whole system. “snap” functions and selecting the desired object to dimensioning is not so fluid and simple. There is also this “zoom back function, when cancelling the command, etc..) My hair goes electrified when I have to do something in NX10/11/12 Drafting. That is why, beside all those problems, we are still using NX8 rather than newer versions. Even if we paid for them. A shame.)

@TechniCsNC

I’ll try to attach file ZIP.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@CAMlupus

Thank you for reply.

But unfortunately your »solution« is not OK.

First. Let me explain one more time. Its natural, that you have ONE geometry (group). Since you have ONE (same) part (e.g. electrode). You just make different stock’s for different purpose, etc..

In that case its logical, that you change (make groups) of programs only.

And it’s a natural work flow that you need rough (-0,3) electrode first and after that finish one (-0,1) In that case I would expect program working in the same (easy understandable and simple) workflow also. And one more IMPORTANT reason is, that all versions UP TO NX9 worked same and correct way. No matter what.

It should also generate IPW no matter what operations you choose. Even if you leave something (in between) out. If I intentionally select ONLY some of them, should generate only what I selected.

If you want to make IPW of rest milling and take in to account previous operations (and IPW) there is also special dedicated function for that. But in that case I do not want this.

Why everything worked years up to now … ??

Why static IPW worked for years till now?? And it’s superior in terms of speed (and enough accuracy) from 3D dynamic. (but you can simply put higher value in the box for super quality and its anyway way faster than3D)

@Paul_Hartrick

Thanks’ for reply.

The suggestion for making – copying the parts… well this option is absolutely not in my favour. Logically ... having XXX number of (same) parts it’s confusing. Not to mention other problems that appear.

Using oversized cutters is also a thing that is not favourable. I would say its also a thing that can lead to mistakes, etc.. etc..

Shop documentation: Can you generate the SIMPL and I would say BASIC need that would be integrated in the documentation or just listed somewhere: the minimal tool length needed for operation? (there is an option to generate this BUT ONLY for “cavity mill” operation. BUT even this one DOES NOT WORK!)

Bottom line. I would say this is a “bug”... or issue which developers of NX did not think wisely. (as unfortunately many other functions. For instance. Drafting is way, way more fluid in NX8 than .. eg.. 11.. etc.. (cant explain in one word. But simply the fluidity of whole system. “snap” functions and selecting the desired object to dimensioning is not so fluid and simple. There is also this “zoom back function, when cancelling the command, etc..) My hair goes electrified when I have to do something in NX10/11/12 Drafting. That is why, beside all those problems, we are still using NX8 rather than newer versions. Even if we paid for them. A shame.)

@TechniCsNC

I’ll try to attach file ZIP.

Legend
Legend

This thread went quiet, but I noticed that you made an edit. 

Are these 2 separate parts? Or 2 programs on the same part? 

Or has it so much time passed you found a workaround for this?

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Learn online

Solution Information