Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

NX CAM Tag faces, adding more feature types

I work with a lot of imported geometry and I want to automate some repetitive tasks like drilling and tapping holes for example.

Given that I dont have a FBM author licence my understanding is that using tagged faces is a way of creating geometry groups upon which I can then apply spotting, drilling and tappping operations froma template file.

The questions I wish to have answered go as follows:

1: Can I add more feature types by editing the tagging.dat in the \MACH\auxiliary\tagging\metric folder ?

2: How do I specify a full length thread or through hole?

3: When creating a template part, do I need to worry if the part file is a native NX part or imported geometry? I tried using holemaking templates on tagged features but NX wouldnt accept it due to the difference in feature types. (In short is creating templates the same as other templates but I use tagged faces for geometry)

Would love to hear from someone who can help

Adrian

tag_01a.PNG

2 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian-Anglade
‎02-26-2017 04:34 PM

Re: NX CAM Tag faces, adding more feature types

The feature type selection in the displayed dialog makes the difference, make sure to only use the STEPnHOLE or STEPnPOCKET features for through and blind holes, since these have a good OOTB process applied.

You should check the rules to get a better feeling for them, even if you cannot change them, you can open MKE and take a look at them.

The MKE help file is also a mandatory resource for getting started with FBM.

For imported geometry it is best to create similar features with NX and check which attributes are mandatory, you can then easily change the tagging entries to get threads working on imported geometry.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Re: NX CAM Tag faces, adding more feature types

Hi Stefan

Thanks for the pointer, I now have a set of working templates that cover majority of what we do, understanding the differences between STEPnHOLE and STEPnPOCKET made all the difference. Besta of all it covers both native NX part files and imported data too.

Got a better understanding of NX from it as a bonus.

Thank you

Adrian

Learn online

Solution Information