cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX CMM: Creating a plane and an Inspection path

Pioneer
Pioneer

Greetings.

I want to create a plane inspection feature, and I want to create an equispaced set of points around a circumference. This is proving to be more difficult than it sounds.

Instead the more I try to manipulate U and V limits, the more confused I get. I simply want to take 8 points, at 45 degrees from each other, at a 5'' diameter, and I want to start at 15 degrees offset from Y axis.

Why is this so difficult?

6 REPLIES

Re: NX CMM: Creating a plane and an Inspection path

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

The easiest way to do this is to create an NX circle on the plane at the desired location and then use the NX point set command to create points around the circle. Then while creating the inspection path simply select the points to define the measurement points.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Actually after finally getting desperate and clicking everything in sight, i did end up selecting NX Circle and I was able to create a point structure in a circular pattern how i wanted.

Can anyone go into why I have to select NX Circle to inspect a Plane? How come this isn't an automatic option when I create a plane?

New question:

When creating  an actualy CIRCLE feature, how do I know where my start and end points are? When creating an Inspection Path, I can't tell what is my first point and what is my last point. They are both the same color so i don't know in what direction the probe is going to travel as it inspects the diameter, CW or CCW.

The ability to create circular patterns of points on a plane is a good enhancement and you should file an enhancement request with TAC.

With regards to the second question, you should open the point set sub-operation in the path operation and click on each measurement point. As you do that, the probe will move to that point enabling you to see how the probe will move. You can also select animate and see the probe move along the path

Pioneer
Pioneer

what if i want to modify a particular point?

such as 10 hits on a diameter, i want to modify one hit and move it closer to another hit. if i select the particular hit, what is the easiest way to modify it?

Highlight the point to modified in the sub-op navigator and select the wrench icon. This will allow you to move the measurement point

Pioneer
Pioneer

ok. that worked. thank you.

What determines where a feature starts and ends? How do you specify start and end of CMM tool path?

Learn online

Solution Information