cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Cam: Defining Zero Offset while table is tilted

Creator
Creator

Hi everyone,

I'm a research assistant at an university in Germany and new to this forum and I really hope to receive some help here.

I usually work with a 5-Axis-Machine Tool that uses double-rotary-tables. I do have a postprocessor that works just fine, but I have a problem with a specific setup:

I'd like to machine a part that "grows" out of a base platform in an angle of 45 °. The only chance to define a secure Zero Offset in the machine using the touchprobe is to tilt the A-axis to -45° before using the probe.

In NX Cam, the initial angle settings are: A-axis = 0° and B-axis = 0°.

Is there a chance to tilt the A-table to -45° in Cam (to mimic the actual situation in the machine tool) so that I can define an offset und generate a functional program?

I hope I was able to explain my problem in an adequate manner, otherwise please do not hesitate to contact me. I really appreciate your help.

8 REPLIES

Re: NX Cam: Defining Zero Offset while table is tilted

Creator
Creator

Hi again,

maybe these pictures will help to make my problem more clear.

The first picture shows the standard setting of the machine tool (in CAM and in real life). However, in this position it is hard to use the touch probe...

A_zero.jpg

... which is why I'd prefer determining the zero offset while the machine's A-table is tilted to -45°. Unfortunately I do not know how to make this happen in NX CAM.

A_45.jpg

This might be an easy thing to do, but I'm yet to figure out how.

Thanks again and best regards

Phenom
Phenom

There are probably no answers because there are several things you could be asking.

A post will turn the rotaries based on tool vector (usually.) Generic motion sub ops, goto udes, or On Machine Probing subops, or Drill operations can be made to turn the tool axis so that the rotary is at -45.

If you are asking about one of these ops and how probing is implemented on your particular post - maybe you can show what you do if rotaries are at zero. There are a few ways probing may be implemented.

If you are asking about the machine compensation or what to do with the probe result - maybe someone will have ideas as well.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your answer...

I think (hope) my problem is not as complicated as your solutions suggest.

I also do not want to use probing in NX...

Maybe I can explain the situation a little better:

Standing in front of my machine tool, I use the probe to determine the part's zero offset. As the part (displayed in the images) slopes upwards in an angle of 45° it is difficult to use the probe since this means to hit small edges exactly right.

Hence I position the machine's A-table at -45° to decrease probing difficulty, since this allows me to use planes instead of edges.

When using NX CAM, I would like to mimic the exactly same setup as in the machine tool (A-axis at -45°) to set the zero offset correctly. However, my machine tool model is set to A-axis = 0°. Using the model's kinematics, it is possible to tilt the A-axis to the desired position, but in this menu it is not possible to determine a zero offset. 

The images below shows the situation in NX.

The left image shows the location of the part's zero offset when the table is at 0°.

The right image shows the part when the table is tilted (as it is in the real setup), but as you can see, the zero offset junction is floating around... I'd like the junction's center to be in its original spot relativ to the part.

Comparison.jpg

Thanks again for your help

NX 10.0.0.24

Windows 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

To position the rotary axis, use the ROTATE UDE.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Phenom
Phenom

If you have a sim kit (IS&V) you can see this in replay. You must not have a dynamic offset (where you can offset relative to rotary zero orientation) and want the dimensions to the zero at the rotary -45 orientation (right?) Set the WCS at the angle and at the machine origin and analyze the 3d distance from that frame perspective (Is one thought.) Will the probe software do the normal touches on that angle? Are you just using skip moves and no software or calibration is used? Another option is to change the MCS to the angle (and manually set the rotary.) Another option is to move the assembly (if it comes to that) and manually set the rotary. The rotate ude will position the rotary but tool vectors (if you have any) will pop it right back if they don't match.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Creator
Creator

Thanks for your answer Stefan. Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. When setting the zero offset the way depicted in the image on the left, the process runs correctly and the table tilts automatically to the right direction.

However, in front of the real life machine tool, it is quite difficult to determine this offset position when the table is not turned to 45°.

------- In German -----

Vielen Dank für deine Antwort Stefan, leider hilft die Verwendung der Benutzerdefinierten Ereignisse hier auch nicht weiter.

Die Stelle am Bauteil, die in NX als Nullpunktverschiebung definiert ist, ist korrekt. Eine Maschinensimulation führt auch dazu, dass der Tisch schwenkt und eine Bearbeitung möglich ist. Allerdings ist es schwer diesen Punkt am Bearbeitungszentrum anzutasten.

Ich suche nach einer Lösung, wie ich die Nullpunktverschiebung in NX so setzen kann, dass er dem Nullpunkt des Bauteils an der realen Maschine entspricht. Ich würde also die A-Achse in NX gerne um -45° drehen, um dann die Nullpunktverschiebung im Geometrie-Operations-Navigator setzen zu können.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

An MCS can have multiple purposes, so if you select "coordinate rotation", the post processor should output the coordinate rotation.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Creator
Creator

Thanks Study, I think your idea helped me figuring out a solution.

It is possible to use NX's measuring function when having the axis tilted. This way I was able to determine the desired zero offset's position when working with tilted axis.

Thanks everybody for your kind help.

Learn online

Solution Information