Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX User Defaults

Legend
Legend

What changes can I make so that I can store my user defaults on a server and setup my ugii_env.dat to allow me to have the same user defaults on multiple computers?

I migrated my resource directory sucessfully but have not been able to figure this out from google.

Right now I have 1 other programmer and myself. There are 2 workstations and 1 laptop. I'd like to be able to set manufacturing preferences and other settings so that the other programmer uses my settings.

Thanks Smiley Happy

NX11.0.1
12 REPLIES

Re: NX User Defaults

Legend
Legend

Also is there a way to map the updates folder?

Or what is the proper procedure to deal with this?

Install a new MP, check the updates, if all looks good change default templates, copy from updates into main?

NX11.0.1

Genius
Genius

Just a wild guess... enforce login onto the server for each workstations so a mapped/shared drive is available to users. Assuming you are using Windows Server, this can be automated using the Active Directory. See: http://loginscripts.com/network-drives.asp

The rest is to dump all your resources onto that server and modify each NX's *dat references to point to the new mapped drive. This would need to be manually done on each workstations.

Not sure what will happen when you travel with the laptop however. Worth setting up a VPN to your server if you don't mind having it connected (read hackable!!!)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

See the NX_Custom threads in the "Programming and Customization" forum for best practice on creating a centralized NX configuration.

For user settings your best bet is to use roaming profiles.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Note if you set the following ENVs, you can put user-level customizations on a network drive.

I would be wary about having everyone share the SAME "user level" customizations, however.

YOUR_FOLDER_HERE=S:\PATH\USERNAME
UGII_USER_PROFILE_DIR=${YOUR_FOLDER_HERE}\
UGII_HISTORY_PALETTE_DIR=${YOUR_FOLDER_HERE}\
UGII_USER_DIR=${YOUR_FOLDER_HERE}
UGII_LOCAL_USER_DEFAULTS=${YOUR_FOLDER_HERE}\nx10_user.dpv
UGII_LOAD_OPTIONS=${YOUR_FOLDER_HERE}\load_options.def

There may be others, but the above is a good starting point.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Dstryr wrote:

Also is there a way to map the updates folder?

Or what is the proper procedure to deal with this?

Install a new MP, check the updates, if all looks good change default templates, copy from updates into main?

The updates folder is found based on UGII_CAM_BASE_DIR, which is based on where NX is installed. It is updated with the install - you should not be changing the contents. There is no reason to copy from updaits to resource, since the system will look in updates first. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

How do I manage keeping our customized templates across 3 computers?

We will need to modify the update ones when they come out?

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Look up Link Sourcing. The idea is that you transfer the folder that contains the customized files you want to a cloud. You then create a symbolic link of that folder and drop the symbolic link where it would normally being in the Siemens directory. The name of the folder has to be what the OOTB names are. You can make as many symbolic links of the folder in the cloud as you like and if you modify it on one computer, it will modify them all.

Basically the folder on the cloud acts as a node that can be changed from any of the links that tap off of it.

Dstryr wrote:

How do I manage keeping our customized templates across 3 computers?

We will need to modify the update ones when they come out?

You have 2 options - have a resource folder on each computer, or have one shared resource folder for all of them. I would local folders for performance, because the resource files are hit a lot in CAM. If you use local resource folders, you need to update them somehow if the resource files change. 

Again, you should not change the files in the updates folder. If you don't want to use them, turn off the customer default. 

I guess another option is if you want to customize the updated template parts. If this is your case, then you could copy the parts from updates to resource, customize them, and turn off the customer default.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

So you are saying NX11 Custom is going to really affect my performance?

Hmmmm

NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information