Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

NX10 Part Boundaries

I'm starting to transition from NX8.5 to NX10.

One of the things that were supposed to be new starting in NX9 is the Part Boundaries menu.

When one goes to define the part boundaries in the Geometry View the menu is new:1.JPG

However when I go to define part boundaries from withing the operation window (ex Planar Mill Operation) the menu is old!  WHY???

2.JPG

Jerry M.

NX8.5 / NX10.0 Native

7 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by MarkRief (VIP)
‎10-14-2016 01:14 PM

Re: NX10 Part Boundaries

[ Edited ]

Updating the boundary dialogs is an ongoing effort over several releases. Planar milling operations are updated in NX 11.0.1. This is the progress to date:

Geometry groups

Release for New Dialog

Mill boundary group

NX 9

Mill area group

NX 9

Turning workpiece

NX 10

Turning part

NX 10

Operations

Trim: Plunge Milling, Cavity Milling, Zlevel Milling, ZL 5-axis Milling, Floor/Wall Milling, Surface Contouring. Blank/Check: Floor/Wall Milling

NX 9

Turning

NX 10

Planar Milling

NX 11.0.1

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Thank you Mark. 

Along the same lines as this post, I just started using NX11 and have the new part boundaries menu. Unfortunately I am using a series of curves to set my tool path. Everything seems to be working other than the in the prior menu you selected either TANTO or ON once and it applied to all the subsequent selections. What I am finding in the NX11 version is that the tool position selection does not appear until after the curves are selected, at which point the default seems to be TANTO. In my application this would be fine if I only I could set the default value first. My application requires me to use the tool in the ON position and right now I have about  100 curves to select and the new method appears to be forcing me to add about 200 more mouse clicks than the previous methods.

I looked into the template file but couldn't seem to figure out how to change the default tool position? Any pointers on where to do this or a shortcut to select a group etc would be greatly appreciated.

There is no way to change this setting to a default one.

Make sure to file an enhancement request to have it included in one of the next phases of the boundary dialog rebuild.

You should be able to select all curves in the lower list and change the setting for them all.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately I was afraid that this was going to the be case relative to the new dialog box. Although I am not very fluent using macros and scripts this seems like something that might be able to reduce my workload with some effort.

steckman wrote:

Along the same lines as this post, I just started using NX11 and have the new part boundaries menu. Unfortunately I am using a series of curves to set my tool path. Everything seems to be working other than the in the prior menu you selected either TANTO or ON once and it applied to all the subsequent selections. What I am finding in the NX11 version is that the tool position selection does not appear until after the curves are selected, at which point the default seems to be TANTO. In my application this would be fine if I only I could set the default value first. My application requires me to use the tool in the ON position and right now I have about  100 curves to select and the new method appears to be forcing me to add about 200 more mouse clicks than the previous methods.

I looked into the template file but couldn't seem to figure out how to change the default tool position? Any pointers on where to do this or a shortcut to select a group etc would be greatly appreciated.

I remember there were several issues in keeping on/tanto modal. The challenge is that this is custom data on each member, and it cannot be set until after the member is selected. I think at a minimum, when adding a member to a set, the system should use the on/tanto of the previous member, but that is probably an enhancement. I will look further in to this. 

For now, I think the fastest is to select all the members in each set and then change them all to ON at once. Go to the member list, select the first one, shift-select the last one, and change tanto to on.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Appreciate the additional follow up. The group selection works but the way I am creating my paths is that there are a variable number of tangent curves being selected and the grouping of the member functions still only apply to an individual curve set not the entire list. Late yesterday we started climbing the learning curve of a journal script to do this and had some initial success which will definitly save some time and prevent errors from manual entry\switching. Our journal script is pretty rough in part due to our inexperience with this tool but at the same time its probably a good opportunity for us to getter better acquainted with it. With all that said its a bit disappointing to have to spend the time to learn and create such a tool for something that worked as it in the prior version of NX, but I'll write it off as us just having a unique situation \ non-standard application that requires us to program our parts in this fasion.

Scott

Learn online

Solution Information