Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11.0 Manufacturing (Turning) x path

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear all,

I am currently working with the NX11.0 Manufacturing tool. The G-Code that is post processed gives me the x coordinates in radius, my machine tool (Haas ST-10) , however, only understands diameter as xpath coordinate. Further, the the fractional digit are limit to 3 but sometimes the postprocessing gives me 4 fractional digits. Is there any method to configure the post processing so that the x path is given in diameter and the max. number of fractional digit is 3 (e.g. 2.233 instead of 2.2329).

thanks in advanced

6 REPLIES 6

Re: NX11.0 Manufacturing (Turning) x path

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi rdf

Edit your post with postbuilder and on the machine tool tab of your post you can set the option "Diameter Programming" in the Axis Multipliers field bottom middle of the screen

For the 3 decimal places you can set the number of output decimal places under the "N/C Data Definitions" tab, "Format" then set for the desired data type, eg. set Coordinate to 4.3 for four significant and three decimal digits.

Regards

Paul

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you edit the number of decimal places in  the "coordinate" output format, you may want to edit the "machine tool" tab -> general parameters -> linear motion resolution.

There are 2 issues:

1) If resolution != format decimal places, then you will get warnings every time you open the post, and the first time you save the post (where you can toggle off the warning, starting in PB10.0.3)

2) If you will be doing diameter output, note that NX rounds to the RESOLUTION FIRST, THEN doubles the radius to diameter.  So you will NEVER get an odd digit in the last decimal place (for 3 decimal places, you will only get .xx2, .xx4, never .xx1 or .xx3).  For "larger" parts, probably not an issue.  For "smaller" parts, this CAN be an issue.  If this is an issue, set the machine resolution smaller than the decimal places output (for 3 decimal places, I might set to .00001 or .000001) and let the format for the output round to the final number of decimal places.  At which point you will see issue #1  (think about using a lathe threading tool to cut a (inch) 2-56 female thread - you might want to increment in diameter units of .001.  But if you leave machine resolution at .001, you will only get increments of .002

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you, Paul!

Now it works!

Thomas

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you Ken,

The machine tool just arrived, so I will try to make this change since we are manufacture small components. 

Thomas

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Thinking about this, if you put a custom command in the "start of path" event (if there are no linked posts, you could put it in "start of program", maybe) that resets the resolution to the "smaller" value, then reloads kinematics.

Then leave the PB resolution at .001 (or whatever).

And get rid of all those annoying warnings :-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Great news rdf. Enjoy the new machine.

Paul

Learn online

Solution Information