Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX12 Adaptative milling

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I'm trying to experiment adaptative milling (let's call it AM) in NX12.0.1.7.

Using the new AM operation doesn't give a fine control of machined areas, as you have to select a whole solid. I would be able to work separately on different pockets / areas.

Having seen some videos, it seems that cavity mill operation had the adaptative cut pattern option. But this doesn't appear in my version 12 (only follow part, zig, profile, etc but no AM pattern);

Has the AM cut pattern been removed from cavity mill?

20 REPLIES

Re: NX12 Adaptative milling

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I think the way adaptive milling works is taking account for whole solid. You can't select some faces and expect Adaptive Milling to machine those faces, because there have to be more precise definition of the blank and part geometry.

(I don't know if this can be changed in future of the adaptive milling development)

If you want to manipulate milling areas, here are some options:

• Use reference tool when possible.
  • Trim toolpath by trim boundaries (Keep on trimming for consequent ops or use IPW)
  • Define a separate blank geometry for each area to be machined.
  • Define check geometry (solid is good, faces probably will lead different stock for those selected)
  • Define a separate part geometry with intended faces, not bodies (I'm highly doubtful this will work, worth trying though)

In testing phase of this operation, it was a cut pattern like you mention. I think requirements of this operation caused creation of a new type. I don't know how Cut Areas are handled back then but cut pattern is removed from cavity mill and probably will never be there again.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the quick answer.

I just gived a try with selection of desired faces instead of a whole body. As you expexted it didn't worked.

I already worked with trimming, but with complicated geometries, it seems too time-consuming.

I'll continue to experiment AM, perhaps on less complicated parts (I was working with 20 pockets nested in each others).

And hope this great function will still improve.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

hi,

currently you are able to customize the dialog and add "cut area" in adaptive milling.

But I have noticed different behaviour - different tool path when you select open pocket by cut area and trim boundary, on leave it unselected.

I report it to GTAC as an issue.

They told me that cut area will be removed for good - you cant be able to add it into the dialog.

I am missing this "cut area" as well.

cheers

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Adaptive milling (note AM is the official abbreviation for Additive Manufacturing) is in its early stages, so there is still room to improve.

It is currently working for the basic features of such a machining strategy, so be happy to use the basics.

The next phase will add bottom-up cleanup, which was reported to be currently in the works, so stay tuned.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Would check geometry be useful (in your case) to "guide" which sections of the part to machine in each operation?

Note I haven't had time to play to see if this option is even available. 

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Ken_A, check geometry is indeed available, its missing in my list. But I think there is a glitch, if you want to make tool avoid from particular "regions", you may need to create check solids. Using faces for check geometry may lead different stock values for those faces only. (Depending on the geometry)

Legend
Legend

Why not just use trim boundaries?

Adpative milling was never a cut pattern in cavity mill. It has been its own operation template. Also selecting of faces in cavity mill is not sucha  good strategy either. Usually you get bad / weird results. Best is to not select anything and limit using trim boundaries. I created a thread about cut regions in other paths such as cavity milling, adaptive milling, floor wall etc.

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Genius
Genius

Couldn't you create a mill area, pick a check objects there and put your process under it?

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

You should be using trim boundaries to controll cut areas, Customizing on Cut Area is not a good idea; AM was not configured for Cut Areas, and I would guess that the outcome my not what you would expect or wanted...

Learn online

Solution Information