Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

NX1847 Instaled machines postprocessors for Postbuilder

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

where I can find instaled postprocessors for postbuilder?

...NX1847...\MACH\resource\library\machine\installed_machines\sim05_mill_5ax\postprocessor

thank you

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #
9 REPLIES 9

Re: NX1847 Instaled machines postprocessors for Postbuilder

Legend
Legend

I came across this a while back, it might answer your question.

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?sort=desc&p=1&q=post+builder+post...

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Legend
Legend

I am hoping (counting on) that there will be a migration tool from Post Builder to Post Configurator. This small issue you just had seems like the beginning of a mess using 2 different post building tools. I have Post Builder posts that have slowly evolved over the last 15 years. Starting over and developing new ones is completely out of the question.

I can handle being forced to switch if a migration tool allows me to save my Post Builder post in Post Configurator, then open an NX file and post and get the same Gcode. 

Glenn Balon

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

they could just leave them there

hope that getting rid of postbuilder is not active process as it is looks like

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Phenom
Phenom
That is a little disturbing. At least the POSTBUILD directory is there for now. The end of the line will be when the license server does not even let you open it from an old version.
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro
ITC Inc.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I agree. It is disturbing...
especially because of disadvantages of Post Configurator comparing to PB.
but I hope it will be dispelled in upcoming webinar.
Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi all,

as explained in the posted Link to GTAC you will find the PB posts for the OOTB machine tools on GTAC download site. To explain a little bit more why we did this I want to mentioned first that the Post Configurator will be the future for developing post processors. The Post Builder application can be still used to create/ modify post processors.

What is missing now are the OOTB PB posts. But you have the same full capabilities with the PC posts for the OOTB sample machines. Even if you are unhappy with PC and want to use PB you can add them if necessary.

So the question is why we should support 2 different post processor applications in the OOTB samples when only one will be the one where we do further development? New customers will be confused why we have 2 post processors for the same controller in the OOTB. It make no sense to maintain 2 post processors for the same OOTB machine tool.

@TechniCsNC : 

An automatic migration tool is for sure a challenge. I will not saying it's impossible but because the architecture from PC and PB is different it make it complicated (not meaning the MOM architecture). I understand the fact that you don't want to rewrite all the postprocessors and not want to maintain in 2different applications. Maybe this is a good point to think about and discuss this topic.

@Marek_Pawlus & all:

I am really interested in the disadvantages you see with Post Configurator. To improve/ enhance a product we need the feedback from you. Nevertheless we should think positive about new software features and I am totally open to get constructive critical feedback to improve NX CAM.

And I am sure we will have additional discussions in the upcoming webinar.

Best regards

Thomas

Legend
Legend

I have barely used Post Configurator enough to fairly judge it yet. The issue for me is not so much Post Configurator itself, it's more the confusion of dealing with 2 methods/programs. Even here in the forums when someone asks for help, often the next question is, "are you using Post Builder or Post Configurator?"

All my new posts are based off of old ones since I know how they behave.

At many job shops, programmers and machinists are sort of left to themselves to just figure it all out. We still have to finish parts in an reasonable amount of time. In some cases we have to deal with managers and project managers that do not even know what a post-processor is. To them we just click on the model, and then you go to the machine, open the door and the part magically comes out. When a new machine/control comes in the building, there is usually a general understanding (after some explaining) that it will take time to develop and customize a post. By switching the post building platform, that time has just been increased, and it throws out much of the experience and knowledge gained from using Post Builder through the years. A very large company with extra redundant employees looking to keep themsleves busy can deal with this much better than a smaller shop where everyone is under the scope. 

Glenn Balon

Legend
Legend

@TechniCsNC wrote:

I have barely used Post Configurator enough to fairly judge it yet. The issue for me is not so much Post Configurator itself, it's more the confusion of dealing with 2 methods/programs. Even here in the forums when someone asks for help, often the next question is, "are you using Post Builder or Post Configurator?"

All my new posts are based off of old ones since I know how they behave.

At many job shops, programmers and machinists are sort of left to themselves to just figure it all out. We still have to finish parts in an reasonable amount of time. In some cases we have to deal with managers and project managers that do not even know what a post-processor is. To them we just click on the model, and then you go to the machine, open the door and the part magically comes out. When a new machine/control comes in the building, there is usually a general understanding (after some explaining) that it will take time to develop and customize a post. By switching the post building platform, that time has just been increased, and it throws out much of the experience and knowledge gained from using Post Builder through the years. A very large company with extra redundant employees looking to keep themsleves busy can deal with this much better than a smaller shop where everyone is under the scope. 

I think what you are trying to say is .... If it isn't broken why fix it?

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Legend
Legend

@Dstryr  Yes to a degree. I am open to change, and even a completely new interface, but I do not consider it forward compatable if I can't open my old posts. The underlying mom varibles are still the same, I do not see why a migration tool could not be possible. 

There is no way we are going to remake our posts. If Configurator is the future and Post Builder is going to be left to rot, this will cause some real problems. I understand it is still supported and there are no plans to end Post Builder from what I have heard, but if this is the case why even make a 2nd Post Building tool to begin with?

Glenn Balon

Learn online

Solution Information