Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NX5 - Wanting to extend multiple toolpaths with the same change (start and end extended length).

[ Edited ]

I have found I can add length to the start and end of a tool path individually, but want to update several paths by the same amount at once... cant seem to make that happen.  Individually yes, but not as a group... any help would be appreciated.

Cutting teeth on a part and need to start and end a bit further off the part.

7 REPLIES

Re: NX5 - Wanting to modify multiple toolpaths with the same change (start and end extended length).

If this is for CAM, maybe you should post in the Manufacturing forum?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: NX5 - Wanting to modify multiple toolpaths with the same change (start and end extended length).

There are examples of looping thru operations & changing parameters in

(NX install folder)\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\CAM

You could record a journal of editing one operation, and take the above samples to glom together something that edits them all.

Not sure which would be less work ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: NX5 - Wanting to extend multiple toolpaths with the same change (start and end extended length).

First of all, I'm not sure what was in NX5, since it was released almost 10 years ago ;*)

If you mean extending multiple path segments in the same tool path, you should be able to rectangle select and grab them all at once.

If you mean editing the tool paths of multiple operations, I don't have a good solution. Tool path editing by it's nature is interactive, and I don't think there was much API for the toolpath editor in NX5. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Re: NX5 - Wanting to extend multiple toolpaths with the same change (start and end extended length).

Mark,

I have several curves in a row that define teeth to be machined. These have all been selected and cuts generated. Now afterthefact, I want to go back and make them longer on each end of the cut. There is a way to do this, but I havent tripped onto it yet.

I can select a "tooth" and a time and "edit toolpath" and in that dialog I can work on the non cutting movement tab and there add length to the extend and retract areas which accomplished the goal. It is about 8 clicks for every tooth and I have a lot of teeth to modify... hence the post.

Now I am confused %*)  I don't think there a non cutting tab in the tool path editor. Are you really doing Tool path --> Edit? Or are you editing the operation, changing parameters, and generating an new tool path? If so, what is the operation type, and what parameters are you changing?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

dialog.jpg

This is the dialog box the opens up... I am picking one of the tool paths below "pos_chipbreakerx_x" and choosing the edit option then going to the "Non-cutting Moves" option...

We have a terminolgy issue here - you are not editing the tool paths directly. You are editing the operation parameters, and regenerating the paths. What are looking for is a mass edit of non-cutting moves.

This can be done with an API program. This is a good option if you do the same thing all the time. Attached is a sample program to try. Select all milling operations you want to edit, then run the program as a journal (Menu > Tools > Journal > Play). It will edit the Non Cutting Moves - Engage - Open Area - Linear - Distance and regenerate each operation. You can change it to not regenerate, or do other edits. If you use it a lot, customize it as a button in your UI. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information