Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NX9 Heartbeat Failure

Hi All,

After Moving to NX9 a few of our group are reciving Heartbeat Failures several times a day. The IT department has been checking the system and it is healthy. The guy sitting next to the person with the problem (same router) continues working without a hitch. This is occuring at seemingly random times and is becomming a major headache for those affected. We do not have this problem in NX8.5, it only occurs in NX9. And yes we have way to much work in NX9 to go back to 8.

Are any others having this issue or are we just lucky?

Thanks

12 REPLIES

Re: NX9 Heartbeat Failure

Randy,

Have you talked to the systems or license folks in GTAC?

It sounds like their kind of problem.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Mark,

I have not spoken with them yet as I usually try to see if anyone else in the community has a similar issue. I realize that this is not the best place for this question but I didn't find a systems forum.

Thanks

I've seen them VERY occasionally, usually tracable to a netwrok issue (router dies or network saturated or WAN down or whatever)

Does it happen more on laptops or workstations?

Wireless LAN or hard wired?

One type of workstation (hence network card) or all?

Look at the router port settings vs. network card settings (auto-negotiate vs. fixed, duplex or not, speed)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Ken,

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. In answer to most of your questions, mostly various laptops that are hard wired. I passed your questions to our IT guys and got the blank stare from them. It is so random that it is very difficult to diagnose. One day someone will get it every 15 min. but the next several days they don't get it at all. I assume it has something to do with our system since I am not hearing from others on the Forum that they also are having the issue.

Thanks

If someone is getting it repeatedly, you might want to try this:

- have them open a "command prompt" window (start -> All programs -> Accessories -> command prompt)

- in it, have them type "ping -t YOUR_LICENSE_SERVER_NAME"

i.e. if your license server is "Randy01", they would type "ping -t Randy01"

- just iconify it on the taskbar

Then next time they get a heartbeat failure, open the window & see if the pings fail, or if their "time" value changes dramatically (ROUGHLY: normally on a LAN the "time" should be 1-5ms.  WAN inside one country should be 50-100ms, WAN across continents might be 200-400ms)

"CTRL-C" to stop it

You can then have some data to show your networking forlks...

Ken

Good day!

We have the same problem with one remote department. We start command traceroute and ping, but there wasn't something intresting about traffic. (only when we start ping to license server we get "Limit Exceeded expectations for the request" about the same time when user get error Heartbeat Failure).

Did yoy solve this problem?

Sounds like it is an intermittent network issue.

As that is VERY site specific, you'll have to work with your networking forlks to figure it out.

At least with the ping you'll have SOMETHING to show them.

Otherwise they tend to be "I don't see anything wrong" :-(

If you know what ports are involved, the network folks might be able to do something to prioritize the NX license traffic

Ken

Disable your AntiVirus, notorious for killing packets as they please Smiley Wink

Get your IT to install Wireshark (net packets inspection tool) and monitor what's going on your NIC at those random time. Should be much easier to diagnose.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Did you have any expirience in use Wireshark? Maybe you can give me any advices, or even instructions?...

Learn online

Solution Information