Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help! Drive the cutter along a simple 2D or 3D curve or contour with compensation on or off

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi i want to machine corner radius with a corner radius tool as shown in the screen shot marked with red colour. I know the proper way for such type of machining is machining with the Ball nose cutter but here i want to machine it  with corner radius cutter for time saving purpose.

For said purpose i must need to drive the cutter along the curve.

In MASTERCAM the option for driving the cutter along the curve exist but in NX CAM i dont know where the option is.

Is it possilbe to drive the cutter along a simple 2D or 3D  curve or contour by selecting only curves or contours not surfaces? 

For illustration pupose i have attached my .prt file and screenshots here.

Master Cam 1.JPG

Curve and Face.JPGMaster cam2.JPGOnly Curve.JPG

6 REPLIES

Re: Need Help! Drive the cutter along a simple 2D or 3D curve or contour with compensation on or of

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can use a "fake" tool (e.g. use an end mill) in FASC (fixed axis surface contouring) to cut the part, but NX won't properly show the material removal. 

If you used a step drill (holemaking) you can define a bunch of small tapered sections to approximate the radius being cut, but that may be a bit of a PITA, depending on how closely you want to do it.

You can define the correct tool as a "mill user-defined", but as the only operation type that allows that tool is "mill-planar profile" you can't cut a 3D contour.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: Need Help! Drive the cutter along a simple 2D or 3D curve or contour with compensation on or of

Genius
Genius

Sorry, Can't open NX12.

There is a way to make a planner profile tool move in a 3X motion. Requires a little slide of hand.

You program with a generic endmill per Ken's instructions.

Then you export the tool path... so you can import it into a planner toolpath done with your User defined tool.

Now the user defined tool does the 3x toolpath. I've seen it, it's possible.

@Michael_Mannino is the expert on this one...

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

Legend
Legend

Use an endmill to define your tool diameter and then use tool assembly to get the correct 3d verification of material removal

Here is a tutortial that shows how

https://ncmatic.com/technical-tuesday/creating-3d-solid-tool-nx-part-1/

https://ncmatic.com/technical-tuesday/3d-solid-tool-nx-easy-way-part-2/#more-575

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

If you are looking for an operation that simply follows the curve while in a fixed axis position then use  Profile 3D from the mill_contour template. If you want to follow a curve on a plane then use Planar Profile from the mill_planar template. In this case you can create and use a MILL_USER_DEFINED tool that has an inward radius like a router bit.

If you need the axis to follow the shape of the top contoured faces of the part then you will need to use a Variable Contour operation with a MILL tool as indicated by Ken_A.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

I have attached a zip file that contains instructions on how to substitute tool path in an operation with a sample file, and also your file with tool path.

ScreenHunter_08 Apr. 03 10.56.gif

Genius
Genius

Yes... That's it. Thanks @Michael_Mannino

Paul S.

Capture.JPG

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

Learn online

Solution Information