Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help! Drive through Curve in Fixed contour

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all i am trying a simple milling fixed contour operation with curve driven geometry. I want to mill the area as shown with red color in picture with a End mill of Dia 10mm.

But the tool path with curves doesn't produce satisfactory results as it doesn't properly cut the material in corner.

Please not that the surface Area(Blue colored) is already machined on turning center and i don't want to machine here.

I have only concern with this red colored surface.

Is there any other way to machine this area?

How can i extend the lengh of tool path which is generated through these three curves for make my result satisfacotry?

I am attaching my .part file here also.

.Capture.JPGAAA.JPGbbb.JPG

2 REPLIES

Re: Need Help! Drive through Curve in Fixed contour

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Capture.JPG

Is this what you are looking for? I have attached the file with my solution of using Floor & Wall. Simply pick the faces you want to machine rather than curves. You can set your Stepover to Passes and set the number to 3. However, it seems three passes aren't enough to clean up the entire floor as it is just over 30mm wide.

Re: Need Help! Drive through Curve in Fixed contour

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi AaghaFarhan,

is there any reason why you want to use the Surface Contour application.

I would suggest to use the Floor Wall operation. I noticed that you wanted to make three passes, but this is not possible with a diameter 10 tool, because the width of the red floor is 30.5429 (see picture below)

2018-01-23 17_13_44-NX 12 - Manufacturing.png

I made a video for you, which you can see below. I switched the tool to a diameter 12 tool. You can also add an additional pass in the Passes option in Floor Wall. 

(view in My Videos)

I attached the part.

Cheers,

Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Learn online

Solution Information