Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer!!!

Builder
Builder

Hello all,

I've made the plunge and am on with CAMExpress, it seems to be NX Cam but many of the tasks, it uses Express as an postfix so I don't understand whether we're getting the full NXCam (obviously limited to non turbo machinery) or its a trimmed down version, however, apart from that all is working. I must say that I had to make a lot of changes and my reseller's team has been extremely helpful and quick in all that I needed.

Here is what I've done. As I'd shared in my last message, I've not purchased the machine model and downloaded a machine model for the older DMU50 from grabcad and modified it extensively. Measuring the some parts on the machine using vernier calipers (large ones) and modeling it in SE and exporting it to CAMExpress. The movement limits came from DMG documentation. I'm quite pleased with the working volume for now. I still have to work with the machine to get the postprocessor for 840D SL running properly.

In the machine tool builder, there are a couple of questions I have which I'd like to know if someone has suggestions for:

1. In the machine model there is acceleration and deceleration for each axes. Can anyone tell me where can I get this information on my machine from? Is it in the machine parameters and if so which parameters?
  2. In the C axis, when I run a simple program, from the shopmill, the C axis sort of rotates in one direction, it rotates based on the shortest path, so suppose it would need to go from 180 to 350 and then from 350 to 10 all the rotation will be in one direction, but suppose if it would need to go from 180 to 10 it would reverse its direction. The DMG guys told me that the axis is continuous. My question is that in the machine definition I've written 0-360 hard limit and 0-360 as soft limit. Is that correct? Would this use the smallest angle to move from one side to other?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Naresh
43 REPLIES

Re: New Customer!!!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello nashero,

about your first question:

1)

You can check that machine datum $MA_MAX_AX_ACCEL

It is an array for all axis,please be aware pay attention about the units, I assume the value of the datum is m/s² or rev/s² as the value inside the kinematics model of NX are mm/ so multiply by 1000 for linear axis.

2)

Whenever you have a rotary axis which should be able to move "shortest", e.g. from 350 to 20 move 30 degree only it is mandatory to define that as a "Rotary Unlimited" axis.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Builder
Builder
Hi @SpaceTom

Thanks a lot for the pointer. It appears to be set at 5m/s^2

So for the C axis I should setup rotary unlimited, both in the model and in the post configurator? Or would you suggest that I use post builder?

Thanks
Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom

My suggestion is as you start new, use Post Configurator. While having the kinematics open and creating a post, the system will get / inherit all data out of the kinematics and set the related post properties accordingly.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM

Builder
Builder

Hi @SpaceTom

I am having problems in doing just that. I can upload the kinematics model of my machine that I have made, it is based on sim14 sinumerik. The graphics for collision detection is modified from an old DMU50 since my machine uses the same table with slightly different X, Y, Z and B, C, movements. But I'm getting collisions with tools even with the simple tutorial examples.

Best regards,
Naresh
Highlighted

Siemens Phenom

Hello,

can you please give some more information like figures, steps of the use case, which is the main / first problem.

Are you know if that is a problem of the posted NC code?

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM

Builder
Builder
There is no problem with the steps and NC code, I've not yet got to that point. The OOTB post which I've attached the machine to works fine. Its the machine model that is not simulating properly. When there is a tool change, I see the tool go into the MCS (-X axis) which is at the vice base, for a split second, then it goes into the spindle. I've not defined tool change position in the kinematic model. Its the kinematic model that I'm having a problem with. Once that is resolved, I'll slowly work towards modifying the post for my machine. Currently, I cannot even imagine putting a part on it and running a code since there is no way to know if it will cause collision or not.
Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom

Ok, got it, first to create the kinematics model.

Doing so you find an video here. Based on an older NX version but the basic concept didn't change.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tech-Tips-Knowledge-Base-NX-Manufacturing/Learn-how-...

Which controller version you plan to use? For Fanuc and TNC it is necessary to define some global variable inside the Machine Configurator. You will find hints inside the document:

Working_with_OOTB_MACH_Simulation_Examples.pdf appendix C (NX12.0.1)

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM

Builder
Builder
Hi @SpaceTom,

Highly appreciated, thank you, that was the document I was looking for, and I'll go through the video, it should help me get going.

Best regards,
Naresh

Builder
Builder
Its for a new DMU50 Generation 3 machine, with Siemens 840D Operate.
Best regards,
Naresh

Learn online

Solution Information