Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NX, which updates have new template prt files?

Concerning new NX, I am curious about how continuous releases will affect needing to customize cam template prt files.  I cannot find documentation on this. 

NX 12.0.2
9 REPLIES 9

Re: New NX, which updates have new template prt files?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Mould_United ,

This link might be helpful to you: What's changed in NX Configuration and NXOpen

Regards,
Samadhan

NX Help Links: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Thank you for the link, Samadhan!

NX 12.0.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

How to tell what changed during an update, after the initial NX1847 install/update is now more of a problem.  There are 2 ways to do updates;

Using the full release files to do the update, ALL files get the date stamp updated.   
How do we tell what realy changed vs. a date stamp update?    You would need to have old and new versions available and do a binary file check between them.  

The incremental update starting in March.  It didn't work for me, could be a local IT setting.   It is a single installation file.  After the update you should be able to look for newer file dates in MACH\Resource or any other folder with files you customize.  

Also 1855 has been available for a while and there is no mention of it in the Siemens Documentation Center.

I suppose we can utilize the old trick of copying the NX folder for a backup, perform the update then analyze the result and decide if we wish to keep the new update or not.  Not a very elegant solution but will work for me if the documention does not exist.

Our site always used to wait at least for one MR to be released before migrating.  For NX 12 I waited a while after 12.0.1 was out then migrated, only to have to re-customize all my cam template prt files when 12.0.2 was released.  I suppose I could have waited for the 2nd MR but now that strategy is obsolete with continuous releases, along with any sort of knowledge when we will have to customize our template prt files.

There was a promising tool available in the forums to compare old and new template files but I recall reading it doesn't work with current versions.  Siemens should develop a reliable, easy to use, graphical tool which should be integrated into NX to assist user sites to compare old and new templates then assist in customizing the new templates.  There should be a similar tool for customer defaults too.  Not looking for it to take over customization, simply to help point out similat settings and also point out new setting which are unique to the new templates.

NX 12.0.2

Legend
Legend

What I dont get is how is this still an issue and we are in 2019....

Managing updates should have been fixed years ago Smiley Sad

Those of us with smaller license counts don't have full time people to migrate us and it is a lot of work to modify these templates....

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Legend
Legend

I use Allway Sync for this I have used this tool for years to compare files and folders and do backup of directories since it only has to read/write what is modified, new, or deleted. etc....

I think you can use it free to see if it works, then it was only 20, 30 buck if I remember right. 

For what you are looking for, you would just use the "analyze" function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=wxMMjdkwbBo

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP5 Primarily CAM

Has anyone heard of a release schedule for updates which will require template part re-customization?

NX 12.0.2

Legend
Legend

@Mould_United wrote:

Has anyone heard of a release schedule for updates which will require template part re-customization?

Has there been anything released on this? Kinda feel like I'm in the dark now. I used to be on the cutting edge with nx beta and now since this continous release thing I've kept the shop on last patch for 12 until more information gets released...

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

I feel the same way about it.  Given there are no software tools from Siemens to aid version transitions, I'm not willing to do a large amount of required template customizations only to have to do it again when an update unexpextedly requires template customization again.  With that in mind I may use 12 for quite some time...

NX 12.0.2

Learn online

Solution Information