Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New potential customer

Innovator
Innovator

Dear All,

I'm a SE user for a number of years and on an active maintenace plan. We've just received our first 5ax new machine and we're seriously considering Siemens PLM for cam. The machine is DMU 50 3rd Gen with Siemens 840 SL. It was delivered to our facility two days back and has finally been installed today.

My questions are the following, suppose we purchase CAM Express 5 ax:

1. What are the features that are not present in CAM Express 5 ax that would be in the NX Cam (really if there is a difference between the two).
  2. Are there some canned Posts that one can work with to learn the system and adapt it to our machine or better still, does anyone have a post for my machine above?
  3. Is helical milling or steep wall milling by the hypermill folks hype? What is the stand of Siemens PLM users on that?
  4. Can CAM Express 5 ax program complex shapes like blisks or propellor molds etc.

Thank you!

N

Best regards,
Naresh
11 REPLIES 11

Re: New potential customer

Legend
Legend

You should get your local sales rep in there. Too many variables here.

Yes there is a post library you can download from, but they always require customization. 

The new adaptive milling works good for volume roughing. It is similar to the "Helical" you mentioned. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Legend
Legend

CAM Express is NX Cam. It's just the NX Cam side. I have a friend I do work for he is a SW, Cam Express guy.

It works fine, but it is not as nice as being able to flip over to NX Cad.... I will tell him the whole time I'm working.

You'll get Sketcher and be able to do Assembly things need in Cam. But there is no ability to do Cad extrudes and revolves. You can do some solid manipulation because you will have Synchronous Modeling.

And I like to have CAD to do drawings for Set-up info... Obviously to design holding fixturing, It is a great benefit to be able to model your fixtures in place and have them in your Cam environment "live" and up to date at all times.

Way back 10+ years ago I traded maintenance on Ideas for NX. Maybe you can work the same with your sales guy to do the same in SE. I know they have been doing much more with SE to NX Cam integration.

I can't say for post, but that sounds like one that may have an OTB Post in the samples.

Paul S.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Innovator
Innovator
Paul,

Thanks a bunch for your feedback. That was very helpful. In fact, I was on phone a few minutes back with my CAD reseller and this was a thing she touched on. The thing I like about CAD-CAM integration among other things is smooth transfer of all PMI data. I have zero experience with the modern NX, but have extensively used GeoDraw and GeoMod, on Apollo Workstations, which became SDRC-IDEAS many years ago.
Best regards,
Naresh

Legend
Legend

Make sure you have modeling as well. Designing fixtures and creating geometry for CAM use is very important. 

I have  Bundle [ 0 ] : ADV5XMACH

This allows full simultaneous 5 axis machining, and modeling. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Innovator
Innovator

Hi Glenn,

Thanks a lot for your comment. I'm not going for NX + NX CAM, but rather seriously, read: almost over the edge, considering going for Solid Edge + CAM Express Advanced 5 Axis. I've been made to believe that the CAM Express Advanced 5 Axis with G-Code simulation is the exact same product as NX CAM cloaked in as a SE product.

So all the fixtures and jigs will be done in the SE Environment and then CAM Express fired on the assembly. Thats the grand plan. Whether I'll be able to do the hypermill like paths for steep wall machining or floor machining or curved curved surface machining or pocket machining or blade machining is still to be explored. I'm trying to educate myself using some of the excellent videos on this site and on youtube. There is still a lot to learn and get to grips with. My SE reseller has been an excellent help in making up the current decision.

Thank you for your interest and help.

Best regards,
Naresh

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Blade/blisk/impeller machining is *probably* not included in your bundle  (i.e. machining blades where they are physically the same part as the hub, all the way around the circumference).  Show a picture of what you are talking about to your reseller, they should be able to help you out (not that you can't machine them with the standard 5 axis package, but there's an add-on for this type of machining that will probably make your life MUCH easier)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Innovator
Innovator
@Ken_A that's right, it does not include turbomachinery machining. It does not include Feature Based Machining as well. I don't know how much I'll lose from these not being present. We plan on adding another new machine in the next 9-10 months, a turn mill center to support this machine.
Best regards,
Naresh

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Turbo machinery is available as an add-on and only included in one or two CAM bundles in general.

FBM aka "hole making" is included in the 2.5D milling add-on for example.

CAM express is using the new modular CAM licenses, where you have the ability to select a very cheap CAM foundation bundle and add what you need through add-ons.

For CAM only you have multiple options to choose from and add modules as needed.

CAM express will not offer any CAD/CAM foundation bundles, but the CAM-only bundles include limited CAD functions to add support geometry, but will not be sufficient to create fixtures and such.

CAM-only bundles offer basically only the ability to change or remove existing faces of a solid body, which is what CAM express is focused on.

If you need more, offer yourself a regular NX CAM license bundle.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

If you are trying to find comparable features between NX CAM and CAM Express it might help to know the name of the bundles.  I know some of the bundle numbers and names but I lost my document with detailed bundle desciptions, sorry.  Also, a VAR should be able to give you detailed bundle descriptions. 

Here are some bundle numbers for you:

NX 14101  Mach 4-E High Tech

NX 14400  Mach 4 Advanced Mold

NX 14401  Mach 4 Max Machining

NX 14410  Mach 4 Advanced Die Manufacturing

NX 12.0.2

Learn online

Solution Information