Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novice

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

my name is Bob and Im a production manager at a company in the Netherlands. Our engineering departement uses UGS NX 10. We have a CAM module which we use for 3-axis milling of complicated geometry. We have purchased a used 5-axis milling machine, DMU 80T with a MillPLUS control. Siemens Netherlands is providing us with a postprocessor.

Since we have been using the CAM for only complicated geometry (which rarely happened in the past) our knowledge of the NX CAM is limited. Our provider gave us a pretty basic instruction on how to use the CAM but we have a feeling it will not be sufficient when we are starting on the 5 axis machine.

Im looking for a basic startup on how to handle 5 plane milling (3 axis milling on 5 planes in one setup). Things like "how do I tell the CAM Im using a 5-axis machine", "how do I tilt the tool 90 degrees so I can mill a side surface".

So, can anyone give me some suggestions on what is the best way to start learning this?

p.s. excuse the bad spelling. My dutch is much better.

Kind regards,

Bob

7 REPLIES

Re: Novice

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

1. You need a NX CAM training. 5 days will be enough for start.

2. After 3 days training, you must be able to create inside NX box 100x100x100 with chamfer on top face, create first NX CAM operation for milling this face and your postprocessor must output correct NC-programm for this simple case.

3. You must to find on your shop floor real al alloy block 100x100x100, vice, tool. Mount it on the CNC table, load programm and run it in Single Mode. I want be sure - you have a good postprocessor.

4. Next edge on top face, next chamfer, little bit another angle - next NC file, next chip.

5. Few operation with cutter compensation

6. Few cycles operation for drilling.

7. Next two days for training, for simultaneous 5-axis.

8. Some fillet on your block, VARIABLE CONTOUR operation. NC-file. Go to CNC!

You need a good postprocessor.

You need a good CSE-simulation model

You need good trainer.

THATS ALL!

Genius
Genius

I think you will find the programming of a 5x machine, at least in 3+2 fashion is pretty much the same as programming the 3x.

The new spin will be that you are just programming a tool axis vector.

Having a good post will be the biggest factor. Sounds like they are getting you one.

The post will determine all the head or table angles necessary based on the direction you pick for the tool axis vector

This software does make the complex pretty easy to do. Good Luck.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you so much for your reply.

We're sorting the training at the moment.

Kind regards,

Bob

Experimenter
Experimenter
Dear Paul,

thank you for your fast and clear reply. Yes, the tool axis vector is what we have to concentrate on at the moment. The post wil be good. And the rest will probably follow.
I shall look into the forum at a regular base now. I have found some very usefull information.

Kind regards,

Bob

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If you like, to get started you can do a minimal amount of effort to get up and running and start making chips.  You can program your machine using a 3+2 axis approach using all the familiar NX 3-axis operations, using tool vectors, and your post processor should handle the nc output.  But I agree with Chigishev, full training will be key to maximizing the potential.

For the basics you will need:

Help on setting up the machine.

A good post processor.

At least one of the basic NX 5-axis machine examples to simulate.

NX 12.0.2

Phenom
Phenom
Another resource is to open some of the simulation example parts: \NXxx\MACH\samples\nc_simulation_samples to see what you have to do with some operations - and you can modify them and see the posted and simulated effect.
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey there,

thank you for the reply. We have found some usefull samples to get started with.

Kind regards,

Bob

Learn online

Solution Information