Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nx cutting tool locked in nx?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

We are a prototyping machine shop and we are using NX CAM for our multiple CNC machines. Each machine has there own separate computer. Since we do a lot of setup's and tool changing in our machines, I was wondering if it would be possible to in a certain way "lock" the cutting tools in NX CAM.

I already setup a template for a couples of machines with vise, machine table, etc. What I have in mind for cutting tools would be to have them locked into NX CAM into a pocket inside a tool carrier. So say I modify a tool in a part, than I would want this tool to be locked in this pocket for the futur. Is there a way to do this? Can all the tools be locked there automtically?

See the picture attached to see where I would put the tool. 

Thanks for the help. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Nx cutting tool locked in nx?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hello Jstem

I assume you already have Carrier, Pockets and Tools coming automatically when you load your template(s).

I also assume your tools get their tool number inherited from the pocket.

Just to make sure I understand your question correctly:

Q1. Is the scenario that you want to get the CAM templates pocket/tool number settings updated automatically if you change a tool position in your CAM part?

A1: If that's the case, then no that is not possible. You will have to change your template file to accomplish that.

Q2: Is the scenario that if you are programming a CAM part and in that part change your pocket/tool number setting, then save that part. When the part is then reopened the new pocket/tool number is kept. 

A2: That will work for sure. But if you start a new CAM part with your template, it will still use the pocket/tool number defined in the template.

Did that answer your question? 

Best regards

Lars Okkels
Siemens, MBG

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Lars,

Thanks a lot for the response. Yes I did already have Carrier, pockets and tools coming automatically from my template files and everything works fine. 

Basically your first scenario was what I was trying to accomplish. After you use your template file it's impossible to get it to update later on in my programming? 

The way I found around this for now is to use the tool library in NX CAM to "mirror" all and only the tools that I am using. When I want to delete one I have the go delete it in my Tool_database.dat in the \ressource\library folder.... It works OK for now but it's not very conveniant. Obviously this way I can't use  Would there be a better way of doing this, inside NX? Or would I have to go for a 3rd party solution?

I checked out the JANUS Technology Manager, from what I understand it basically goes play with the Tool_database.dat a bit like I do.

https://janus.engineering/en/software/janus-plus/tool-management-in-nx-cam/

Thanks

Julien

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius
Hi Julien Out of the box there's no automated solution for this. You can accomplish that with some journaling and customization. A journal (vb) could be created to update your tool database from within NX, so when you update your tool numbers in the part files it would send that updated info to the database. You would also need to have a journal (or similar) that would update your templates files when needed. Today, If you make changes in your database and open one of your templates, you would have open each of the affected tools and click the "update from tool database" option. You're right, to delete tools you will have to manually do that in the database, or use a script that would do that. To sum up, as far as I know, to accomplish what you're looking for you'd basically have to write your own customization or go with a 3rd party solution like from Janus. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Best regards

Lars Okkels
Siemens, MBG

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Wouldn't File-->Save As accomplish this for you? Let's say you finished all your work in the current workflow and then wanted to capture this configuration of the tool numbers and such in the template you originally used. You could delete the operations, CAD data and whatever else you don't want to save, then select File-->Save As and browse to your template directory to overwrite the template file.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You may also want to ask GTAC to be added to an existing enhancement request about a better way to handle carriers.

ER text proposal:

ER Template

1. Short Description of desired enhancement: <Problem rather than a solution>
  * it is not possible to apply changes to the default tools loaded into a carrier in a simple way

2. What activity in your process is the product not able to currently handle?
  * we want to introduce a way to change tools that are loaded into tool carriers in a simple way
    - it should not be needed to load a machine
    - it should not be need to manually move the tools from one pocket to the other
    - the carrier should not be removed if a machine is retrieved from the library

3. What result are you trying to achieve? (Please provide as many details as possible.)
  * when we open an old part file that was created with the tool carrier of a specific machine
    - we want to automatically update the default tools that are currently loaded into the machine
  * when we load the tool carrier of a different machine
    - the tools that are included in both carriers should move to the new pockets
    - the tools that are not present in the new carrier should get removed
    - the tools that are available only in the new carrier should be added
    - the tools that are no longer available in the tool library should get replaced by similar tools

4. Do you currently have a workaround?
  * Do all the things above manually, but in most cases we don't clean up, since that is too cumbersome for more than 20 tools contained in the carrier

5. Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision Siemens PLM providing for this capability?
  * See requirements listed above

6. What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement?
  * HIGH, better reflect the real life, enforce the digital twin

7. Other information:
  * link to existing ER#9140291

Hope to get more users needing this.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX (1876) | AWC 3.4 Preparing: -

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes and no, it would work for new parts the you want to program. But it wouldn't work if you want to reopen an older program and have your latest and updated tool data...

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Stefan,

Do you happen to know how the machining data library work in NX? Because that's basically how I would like that my tool data to react.

In the machining data when you create a new "reccord" it goes update directly the machining_data.dat file in the UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_FEEDS_SPEEDS_ASCII_DIR  file. And when you delete a "record" it also deletes from the .dat file. Thats how I would like my tool data to operate.....

Thanks

Julien

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The machining data library has more options than the tool library.

There is no UI for managing the tool library, so you will have to remove the tool entry manually from the library and also delete the holder entry in the holder library if needed.

You may also have to delete the tracking point information manually.

This all depends on what is referenced by the tool you delete and if it is not used by another tool.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX (1876) | AWC 3.4 Preparing: -

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Learn online

Solution Information