Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMI -> FBM Name or unique identifier

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

I have a customer that is wanting to define a unique identifier for each feature that will eventually get machined using FBM.  And they need the identifier to transfer to the machining feature.

Example:  They currently use a balloon to mark all holes (H0001...), and all surfaces (S0001...)

So I might have a dozen STE1HOLE features that are labelled H0001..H0012.

Even though they are all the same & will use the same feature group in the ONT,  in the Feature Navigator they want to be able to find the H0004 hole quickly.

Ideally they would like the NAME in the feature navigator reflect these unique identifiers, but a secondary attribute, whether an attribute or property of the recognized feature would be OK.

Anyone know if this can be done, and if so how?

THanks

6 REPLIES

Re: PMI -> FBM Name or unique identifier

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Tod,

There are a few ways to do this that I know of. You can map features by a specific color to specific FBC operations, or you can put an attribute on the face of features that can be mapped to specific FBM operations. They would need to use Teach Feature Mapping and Teach Operations Sets.

I believe devlopment is working on some enhancements to FBM and PMI, one of which is identifying PMI notes. Unfortunatly, not in the present version.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Tod,

Automatic feature name recognition is available in NX CAM, but it's a bit indirect and requires specific PMI objects:Image1.png

The features should have “Custom Symbol” PMI objects associated to their faces

image2.png

The associated geometry should contain (at least one; but good practice is all) of the feature facesimage3.png

And the PMI object needs to have a "UFI" string property. The value of this property (not the label of the custom PMI) is used as feature name. UFI stands for Unique Feature Identifier
image4.png

With all of that in place, the automatic feature recognition will still recognize the OOTB feature types but will automatically set the proper name.

image5.png

Not easy, but maybe doable.

The example test part (attached) was saved in NX12.0.1 but this should also work in NX10 and NX11

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Siemens Experimenter

Can you send the actual symbol?  I am not sure how you actually created the symbol.

I can't find it in the libraries.  I am not sure where the UFI lives.  

How is the UFI created?

image5.png

Is the UFI and attribute, object attribute, expression or something else?

Siemens Experimenter

OK, I think we got this.   The attribute has to be assigned to the symbol in the model tree, not on the screen.

Thanks Tom

Errata:  It has to be applied on the PMI:Custom Symbol,  not under the view.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I forgot to mention that the actual PMI symbol is not relevant.

It's just the PMI object type and the specific attribute/property that are important.

Tom.

Siemens Experimenter

Thanks Tom.  Yeah, I discovered that when I didn't have any of the customer's custom symbols, I just added one from the OOTB collection, assigned the attribute, and it worked.

Learn online

Solution Information