Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paste with Reference - Only works with MCS located on part

Legend
Legend

I've posted before about problems with paste with reference and I think I finally figured out what is causing the issues.

On my horizontal I program from center of rotation. So all my MCS are created in the center. When you paste the completed mcs into the new work piece it doesn't pick up the direction of the part because its not on the workpiece.

Is this a bug ? I don't like having the MCS on the part because then I have to either G10 the program or enter in the work offsets every time.

NX11.0.1
18 REPLIES

Re: Paste with Reference - Only works with MCS located on part

Legend
Legend

Going to bump this thread again because I'm dealing with the problem.
Anyone else have a work around besides going back and manually moving the Paste with Reference MCS

NX11.0.1

I don't recall the details, but I know that in paste with reference, we locate the tool paths by re-orienting the MCS of the original WORKPIECE to the target workpiece, and we expect each workpiect to be a component.  I don't know how it would work with a common MCS, but I know who does, and he on vacation this week. I'll try to get an answer when he returns.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Curious if this this got any more attention. 

I do lots of small parts... and I like distributing them quickly with the paste inside with reference.... when it works. 

It's a hit and miss. See picture below... 

Upper left is my seed op.. all is dandy... On the last work offset the toolpath is off by the distance in between the parts. 

I create the assembly as a pattern.. and the way I resolve this usually is that I delete pattern, fix all the parts and recreate the problematic instance geometries with a  new pattern or an unassociative copy... 

This drives me NUTS!! This is supposed to be easy!!!

What is the workflow for this so this can be repeated consistently???

Also even if I manually move the toolpath to the correct position NX will post out junk... 

Sorry for the caveman notation... hopefully you get the picture. 

image.png

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Which NX release are we talking about?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

NX Version NX 11.0.2.7
NX Phase 7
NX Patch NX 11.0.2.7 MP2, 13Sep17

NX 12 seems to have the same issue.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Your layout is similar to the one displayed at pasting operations with reference from the NX help?

May be you get better results by using copy CAM content from component introduced in NX 11.0.1?

I would report the issue to GTAC to get it fixed in the future.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Yes it is... I and I played with this many times... Nothing yields anything consistent. I am tired of the buggy code Siemens puts out. I am seriously considering switching back to my previous cam system.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

This looks like a good use for sub programs.  Smaller file size and simpler code. Just saying

and yes it can be done in Post Builder

http://www.plmworld.org/p/do/si/topic=1381&type=0

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There are about 60000 customers with millions of seats, so there are millions of use-cases and situations where the code may fail.

If the function doesn't work for you, I would really contact GTAC, they may be able to fix it or at least offer a work-around and forward the issue to development.

During my 35 years of using software, I have not found one that was without problems. Software is created by humans and humans are not fail-safe Smiley Wink

Learn online

Solution Information