Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Planar Profile Cuts?

Why is there not an option for mulitple stepovers? Or am I missing something?

NX11.0.1
9 REPLIES

Re: Planar Profile Cuts?

Multiple for depth? Cut levels - define floor plane and profile plane as different planes, and you will see few passes for Z.

Multiple step overs... or width of cuts. Not z passes.

We do a lot of parts where we have to machine .04-.050 chamfers on thin aerospace parts with a flimsy 45* Double Angle cutter. In order to get the required finishes it requires multiple passes. My last part just to do 8 chamfers required 24 tool paths to manage.

Just wondering why in finish wall operation you get multiple stepover options but not in planar profile...you only get stock allowance.
NX11.0.1

NX11.0.1

NX11.0.1

This was brought up in the CAM open forum at the 2105 PLMworld

At the time Siemens was asking for the ER #s people had submitted, and I don't remember getting a response.

PPT on the PLMworld web site in 2015 presentation downloads (if you went)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Planar Profile is as the name states one planar profile pass, if you want multiple side passes you need to use planar milling.

Frank Bartucci
NX CAM COE

Well then maybe planar milling should be updated to support tracking point and user defined tools.
NX11.0.1

Planar profile behaves differently than planar milling with profile cut, and this is why you don't see multiple stepovers in planar profile - It is a very specific processor.

There are several ERs in the system to add multiple steper passes to planar profile, and you are welcome to contact GTAC and log your support for them.

I think your request should really be - how to cut the chamfers in multiple passes?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information