Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Please help me understand...

Builder
Builder

This is the expected result that took 2 operations. Is creating one extra operation a big deal? Not at all if it were just a few per project. I am looking at literally hundreds of profiles per part so then it does become a big deal.

In my opinion NX is VERY powerful yet unintuitive. From my view this example is only one of many where the power is clearly there just not carried across.

I totally agree that we all would love to have that holy grail software and please understand it is not my intention to offend anyone here so I apologize if I did. I come from a background that cringes at anything that sounds like "that's how we've always done it".

Legend
Legend

Look into boundary geometry groups.

Operation Navigator - Geometry

Right click under your Workpiece and insert > Geometry

Type = Mill Planar

MIll_BND

Here you can define boundaries, floor , everything you need in planar paths.

Now once you have your toolpath the way you want it you can drag and drop under new boundaries

Its very powerful and you have to remember this 2d path youa re using is very old technology. 
Try to use check body with floor wall. It should do exactly what you want without any boundaries... just using wall geometry faces.

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Builder
Builder

I'll look into that.

Thanks!

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend
It's not, that how its always been. Its more like, this is what its designed to do.
If you have hundreds of profiles, its better to skip the planar mill ops.
Floorwall, z level profile operations will give you the ability to drive on solids instead of selecting curves/ edges.
Planar mill is an old type if operation that's still very effective for some applications, but for what you try to achieve there a better options
Patrick Delisse
KMWE - DutchAero
NX 12.0, TC 11.2, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.1, TDM 4.8
C#, VB, .NET

Builder
Builder

Thanks guys!

This appears to be the missing link I was looking for.

I was out for a few days and am jsut seeing this. Our users did a great job of explaining, so I only have a few general comments to add: 

• Non Cutting Moves looks at open and closed regions. This has nothing to do with what or how you selected geometry or boundaries. If you want to see the cut regions, use analysis tools from the operation dialog after generating, before you OK the dialog.
  • If you have a solid model, use an operation that takes advantage of it, like cavity milling, solid profile, or floor wall.
  • If all you have is wireframe, then pick your boundaries in a group so you can reuse them.
  • If you are new to NX, I would at least go through the first few tutorials (Help > Manufacturing Tutorials) to develop some good habits to get you going in the right direction. Then keep up to date with each release by watching the what's new videos in the Tech Tips
Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information