Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pocket rename

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello.
Looking for a way(vb/grx/?) to automate renaming of Pocket Number and Pocket Description like seen in image below...
We use 8 digit indexing(infinity) tooling number.

eg. Job A T10000400 --> T10000500
       Job B T10000501 --> T10000550

etc.

Kal

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12

Pocket Rename.png

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

Testing NX 11.0.2.7 MP3
13 REPLIES

Re: Pocket rename

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Kal,

There is a nice example of editing the tool pockets in the NX sample folder.

Perhaps you can edit it to do what you need.

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\CAM\PocketSetRegistersCycleAll.vb

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello John.

Thank you but I don't understand vb language nor what/how the mods should look like.

Kal.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

Testing NX 11.0.2.7 MP3

@Kal, Attached is a journal based on the one that @camster mentioned. It will rename all pockets to "POCKET_" plus the pocket ID. Editing a journal is not that hard, once you have the basic framework - in this case cycling all the pockets. Near the bottom of the file is where the real work happens - you can see most of the commands are commented out, but serve as good examples.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Mark.

Ran the journal you supplied, image shows message I got.

I need the ability to control the 8 digit indexing(infinity) tooling number...from 10000000 onward...

Currently, on every new job, depending on how many tools, w/ ATC pocket capacity of 252 tools, renaming "Pocket Number" and "Pocket Description" is a manual operation...very time consuming & user can easily make a mistake...that's the process I am trying to automate...

Kal.

error running bbs journal.png

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

Testing NX 11.0.2.7 MP3

So you want to set the pocket ID, and the pocket name? That's something different. You would need to set up a counter and set these, instead of reading the reading the ID that is already there. 

I have a program that defines pocket through a number range in the machine tool navigator - I can provide it if you have a vb programmer. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

Do you have a resident tool magazine?

What I do is use 1 pocket and the tools are saved in a .prt file called Yasda_Tool_magazine_01-01.prt

I then copy and paste all the tools into pocket #1 in my new CAM file.

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Mark.
Two separate vb programs would work for me...one for handling "Pocket Number" and the other for "Pocket Description"...
As you can see in the initial thread, the difference between both is the "TOOL_" prefix found on the pocket description.

We have no vb programmer...

Kal.
NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

Testing NX 11.0.2.7 MP3

Pocket Description is "Pocket:" Are you talking about the object name that you see in the Operation Navigator? 

You can change the existing program from "POCKET_" to "TOOL_".

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Mark.

Journal won't let change from "POCKET_" to  "TOOL_"....but I can change "POCKET_" to "TWEETY_" ?Smiley Happy

Now I am looking @ Patrick Delisse's good old  "Group Rename Operations"  vb...hoping I can learn-understand something that I can apply to this situation...sigh..

Kal.error vb from bbs.png

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

Testing NX 11.0.2.7 MP3

Learn online

Solution Information