Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance reordening operations

Creator
Creator

Hi all, I notice peformance issues in (re)generating tool paths . It litary takes ages to calculate. Strange thing is when I start programming a new part, everything is fine, calculating toolpaths takes some time but not abnormal.

NX seems to have difficulties when I start reordening the operation sequence. a simple operation suddenly takes up to 30min. to calculate while before it took only seconds.

It feels like NX is carrying a lot of history and (re)runs previous calculations. 

What could fix this issue? Is there a way to start calculating from scratch and loose the "history"? 

We do love 3D IPW operations like restmilling and floor wall IPW. I'm aware that calculating with IPW takes more time but this is not normal.

Running NX 12.02.9 on a i7-7700K@4.2GHz  with 16GB Ram and NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on W10. 

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Poor performance reordening operations

Phenom
Phenom

Do you have background IPW on?

I like this feature, but it doesn't really work in the "background," it causes my graphics to lag and slows down my system. I was looking for a separate process to set priority on processing but I do not see anything. 

background ipw.PNG

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP10 Primarily CAM

Creator
Creator

I turned it on, but there seems to be no major improvement. Strange thing is though if I monitor the RAM, CPU and GPU, only the Processor is on for a couple seconds to 100%, then drops to idle and I have to wait... and wait... and wait... 

Phenom
Phenom

Turning it on would slightly slow down your performance. I was thinking you may have had it on causing your slowdown. 

I like using it because it reduces the time needed to update IPWs if you are jumping around verifying different areas of a program. The small amount it slows my system is worth it to me, because it still saves me time when verifying. A positive trade off and good new feature. 

Looks like this isn't really related to your issue though.  

Glenn Balon

Legend
Legend

Is that a new feature? I don't see it in 12.0.1 MP2

I'd heard of strange IPW behavior happening in new versions.

Making me nervious about moving up.

This version has the snappiest 3D verify and regen of any version I've ever used.

I want the new stuff, but can't take anymore IPW issues, lived thru them in mid MP's of 10

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Phenom
Phenom

Background is new in 12.0.2, it works nice.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/12.0.2/nx_help/#uid:xid1539040

background ipw settings.PNG

This next link is to a thread describing my issue I have with speed of stepping in verify being slow in 12.0.2, it has video. It is so bad I may revert back to 12.0.1. I have to test more to see if it is somehow isolated to my system only, and maybe a fluke case. 

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/NX-12-0-2-Painfull...

Glenn Balon

Legend
Legend

Hi Moons, 

Your issue could be related to the IPW ops. Here you have some experience tips.

- The Floor Wall operation offers poor performance. When possible, consider to change it for a Cavity Mill or similar. 

- If you have the feeling that the slowdown is due to information from previous calculations, you could run the Part Cleanup to remove Manufacturing Objects. 

Hope this helps. 

Salvador Peregrina
Manufacturing Team Leader| NX 12.0.2

Creator
Creator

There is indeed an Floor_Wall_IPW Op in there. But as long as I run these OP's in the right order, hence start over and copy the operation in the right order and calculate, everything is normal. It's only when I'm working a long time on one part, trying diffrent strategies when things get slowed down.

I've checked the "part cleanup" can you give me a hint what I need to select?  Don't want to get things corrupted...

Thank for the tips!

Legend
Legend

"Clean Manufacturing Objects" could work, but to avoid corrupted files, you should perform some test in non-critical milling programs. 

Another tip. Given you notice the poor performance only in long programs, could it be that you have the "Generate IPW" option enabled?

Therefore, each time you change your machining strategies, NX attempts to create the IPW of each op and the file size gets bigger, it can reach a few GB. 

You can find it out by taking a look at the IPW column of the Operation Navigator.

IPW_2.jpg

Salvador Peregrina
Manufacturing Team Leader| NX 12.0.2

Creator
Creator

Salvador, I do see that the IPW is not marked with a black X but rather a clock or green check mark. Isn't this needed to calculate a next operation needing IPW? If not? How do I turn it off? 

What did speed up the calculation is the intol - outol setting, we have this at 0,001 for finishing. What is recommended? For finishing, semi finishing and roughing?

Learn online

Solution Information