Post Builder Files

Genius
Genius

As I look at my post I see some as...

my_post.cdl

my_post.def

my_post.pui

my_post.tcl

About 50% of them don't have a .cdl file. If I delete it. I don't see a change, the post opens and still post code.

So what is is the file and why does it appear to not be necessary?

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

9 REPLIES

Re: Post Builder Files

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

This is for custom User Defined Events (UDE's) and is created when you have the Enable UDE Editor check box turned on when creating a new post.

UDE.JPG

If you intend on creating a UDE of your own then you will need it. If you created the .cdl file and didn't create any UDE then it shouldn't make any difference when you post your tool paths.

Genius
Genius

Thank you for the reply... @jkane1

So I can go in there and edit the UDE's or create more?

And when I removed the file it reverted to the system UDE file?

Which takes precedence? Or do you get the options from both?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Paul -

That check just enables the editor

The file is specified in PB in

"NC Data definitions" tab -> "Other Data Elements" tab

Where you can pick 1 - 3 CDL files

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Also note (I am not 100% sure of this, and exact behavior may change with NX version)

- if CDL is specified in the post, that over-rides and CDL defined in the "USER_DEFINED_EVENTS" line in a CAM configuration file (%UGII_BASE_DIR%\Mach\Resource\configuration\...)

Ken

Genius
Genius

UDE.JPG

OK, I'm gaining clarity. So if I don't want to use the system UDE. I can turn off the top one... and if I want to use the one that was created. I check the bottom box.

But I also have to take it out of the post folder and move it over to the UDE folder?

I don't know how it works.

I always turn this stuff off in my posts, and use the configuration to specify the CDL file of my choice.

Of course, then I have to add all the UDE handlers myself, but I do that in a "source"d in tcl file.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I use this to "Build" a UDE using the dialog in the Machine control part of PB.

I then add the UDE to my default .cdl file.  This way all the users have access to the UDE on the machine control dialog.

The options under the machine control allow you to edit the dialog untill you get what you want and then use that to add to your .cdl file. 

Like most everything else in NX there is amost always more than one way to do something. 

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing NX12.0

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

"Enable UDE Editor" option will allow you to edit/create UDEs & User Defined Cycles (UDC) with the post you are working on.  Post Builder will then save everything you've done into the <my_post>.cdl.

• <my_post>.cdl is only created and known by Post Builder to keep track the changes to the UDEs & UDCs.  It's never needed at NX/Post runtime.
  • Handlers (MOM_xxx) of all the UDEs & UDCs involved will also be added to the Tcl file of the post in question.

You could choose to copy and rename this CDL file to "ude.cdl" and place it in the $UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR folder.  The new and changed UDEs & UDCs will become available for programming new CAM programs/operations.

Options on the "Other Data Elements" tab of "N/C Data Definitions" will be simply translated into INCLUDE statements in the DEF file of the post.  When the post in question is used to configure a machine tool, these INCLUDEs would then populate the UDEs & UDCs when a machine tool is brought into the CAM setup.

With the "Include Own CDL File" option turned on, the UDEs & UDCs with the post will become available when you program any CAM programs/operations under the machine tool's context.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius
The CDL file can stay with the post itself. You have to specify the correct folder path via some UGII env vars.

In NX12.0, you can use $UGII_CAM_POST_CURRENT_DIR to denote the folder that is the same as wherever the post is at.

Learn online

Solution Information