cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Configurator. What does this mean for the future of PostBuilder?

Phenom
Phenom

From the NX10 docs

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10.0.1/postconfigurator/#uid:index_mfgpostconfig:xid...

Post Configurator

You can generate post processors directly from NX for the following controllers:

• Sinumerik 840D

• Fanuc 18i

• Heidenhain iTNC 530

• Generic

Post Configurator is:

• Embedded with NX CAM and Machine Tool Builder.

• Targeted to support NX 7.5 and later releases.

• A post processor development environment for NX CAM that helps you to:

• Reuse elements.

• Separate core functionality from levels of customization.

Post Configurator is not a replacement or convertor for existing post processors.

Note

Post Builder will be available to maintain existing postprocessors.

34 REPLIES

Re: Post Configurator. What does this mean for the future of PostBuilder?

Phenom
Phenom

Interesting. First I have heard of PB going to legacy. Some people will retire I imagine. If there is no script or code and it is all wizard - good luck getting what you want in 90% of the posts I work on. Still - I am interested to play around with it.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've heard SPLM has purchased from another company from Germany the PP-system and wants to replace the Postbuilder. I am also curious that happens. Yes, and I'm wondering what the many suppliers who have written PPs will do in the future. Will SPLM get out further information to build PPs in the old way(s)? I can't see this as a game like "Study". For me, this is very serious. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Werner

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Let me address each question:

"Post Configurator. What does this mean for the future of PostBuilder?"

The new Post Configurator is for now not a replacement of the legacy PostBuilder, and PostBuilder will keep getting updates for the foreseeable future. Both Products will coexist. 

"If there is no script or code and it is all wizard - good luck getting what you want in 90% of the posts I work on. Still - I am interested to play around with it."

With the Post Configurator there will always be the option to customize post processors using Tcl code (with the respective license) and with the new tool you will have more options to generate a focused UI for the post processor user. But some user are not experts in Tcl and just want to change simple settings, without the need to understand a programming language - those users can make use of the new NX-integrated UI preferences.

"Yes, and I'm wondering what the many suppliers who have written PPs will do in the future."

The underlying post process architecture is (almost) untouched and then new PC post will run on the same framework as for the last decades. So fundamentally nothing changes, and most PB user will find it easy to transfer to this new product, if they like. All the MOM events and MOM variables still exist, and it is not planed to change that. So all the existing PPs out there will continue to work and can be extended or maintained using Post Builder.

"Will SPLMget out further information to build PPs in the old way(s)?"

As said earlier both products will coexist. Bug fixes, maintenance and improvements will still be done for Post Builder as well as for Post Configurator, and user can decide for themselves which system they would like to use.

"I can't see this as a game like "Study"."

Post Configurator is not a study at all - it is a full featured product. Transporting and protecting Post Processor IP, and encouraging the developers to reuse their code where possible is the big goal. We hope, that Post Configurator can dramatically reduce time need to get a working PP for a given machine tool.

Regards, Florian

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

While I applaud your efforts to protect intellectual property there is one question I must ask. Is this a new and separately licensed product? To get the point of my question; Will this cost us more?

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.2.7

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Well it looks like I answered my own question.  When I follow the instruction on the link to access the Post Configurator I do not have an option to create a new post.

We have NX13420N Advanced Manufacturing Bundles and a stand alone licenses for multi-axis-add-on

NX10.0.1.4

What do we need to run this????

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.2.7

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello FlorianW!

Thanks for your answers. But you misunderstood my last statement "I can't see this as a game like "Study"." Study is the Nickname of the user above. ;-)

Werner

Phenom
Phenom

Not sure what "game" I was talking about - I assume the "play around with it" was lost in a translator (the meaning.) Maybe "game" is not really what "Jobe" means.

I never thought that the PB product could be done much better - and the choice of tcl script impresses me as well. I have had to log a lot of hours in trial/error to learn what I needed (with it) but if people who need posts (who don't write them much) are helped by a new post building interface - I see why it is being offered. My impression is that there is a lot of negative opinion on this forum from part time postbuilders using the out of the box examples using postbuilder (expectations are high.) And programmers want to make their own postprocessor - even if it means spending a lot more time and money to do it. If this new system helps - I understand the need for it. I will have to "play with it" to know if the posts I am working on will be more trouble (using it.) Unfortunately - the price offered for posts to be competitive does not allow a bunch of time to learn new things.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi,

let me follow up on the open points:

Is this a new and separately licensed product? To get the point of my question; Will this cost us more?

This is a seperately licensed product, that is correct, and it comes in three licenses:

• Basic, is free for everyone and includes the executing of posts and minimal UI adjustments.
  • Adv, will give you all the UI settings and the option to create new posts.
  • Full,  will allow you to customize your post using Tcl (also including the Adv features).

What do we need to run this????

The free basic license is enough to execute Post Configurator Posts, and it comes with NX10.0.1. There is no license flag for it.

people who need posts (who don't write them much) are helped by a new post building interface

Post Configurator is not just a new interface ontop of Post Builder, but a completly new tool and developed from scratch. With the included post libraries, we believe we can cover a lot of post requirements with predefined functions, which the post developer just need to enable and configure, instead of rewriting the underlying Tcl code.

Sorry, I misread that sentence with "Study" Smiley Happy.

Regards,

Florian

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Seperate licenses, you must be joking!!! We already pay a fortune on our MACH3 TOTAL_MACHINING licenses.
Patrick Delisse
KMWE - DutchAero
NX11.0, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.0

Learn online

Solution Information