Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Processing output

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Good day Cam Masters,

When I'm machining in actual, it seems my dimensions are not 1:1 compared to my CAD and CAM design. I run a simple test program to check the accuracy of the post processed dimensions. I made a 100mm long slot with 10mm dia cutting tool (as attached). When I post processed it, it shows movement in X-axis -83mm (as attached). Do I need to do something with my settings? I'm using Cam Express 12.0 and also tested in it Solid Edge Cam Pro. Same result.

Hope you guys can help me.

Thank you,

2 REPLIES

Re: Post Processing output

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The engage and retract is done outside of the part, you control this with the engage and retract settings of the non-cutting-moves dialog within the operation.

From the image of the tool path in respect to the part, the NC code is correct.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Re: Post Processing output

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Matching the Gcode to your image...

N70 & N80 are your yellow curves.  This is governed by non-cutting moves -> Engage

N90 = the cut = cyan curve

N100-N110 are the white curves, this is governed by non-cutting moves -> retract

The reason N80 is not "X-50" and N90 is not "X50" is also governed by non-cutting moves - so you start the "cut" motion outside the part (rather than engaging into the part).  You can play with non-cutting moves -> Engage to remove the extra distance and make the cyan line start at the edge of the part (if you want, but I would prefer it look more like it does)

If you need help on the non-cutting moves -> Engage dialog (or any other in NX) hit the "F1" key while the dialog is open - this should route you to the proper section of the docs

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information