Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-drilled holes in hole making

Dear all,

I'm trying to use an hole making operation in a pre-drilled hole, but the feature geometry doesn't take into account the pre-drilled hole. I'm expecting no material in the core of the hole. (see pics). I defined the part material and the blank material.

I also attached a test part

Thanks in advance

Niek Eilering

Weir Minerals the Netherlands

5 REPLIES

Re: Pre-drilled holes in hole making

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

hi,

I just put operation into the feature in geometry view in order and generate.

Snímka.JPG

You had it in "unsused items"

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Hi,

The operations are okay. I put the other operations in unused items, because 1 operation in enough to make the problem clear. The operation sees that there's material in the core of the hole, but that's already been machined in another setup. That's why I have to change the start diameter into 40mm to get a good toolpaths. I don't want to change this start diameter, because I'd like to use this feature in a FBM like way. With other words, I don't want to do any manual interference to get good toolpaths....

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Niek,

The use case is understood. This is not possible in NX CAM because it doesn't "know" about previous setups. We are working on a Multiple Setup solution that offers this kind of capabilities but it's still under development.

The only option today is to manually define the start diameter in the "second" setup.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. It's clear to me now.

In fact this "pre-drilled" hole is a casted hole in a casted workpiece (see pics). So in this case there will be no previous setup. I tell this because, if you're only develop a solution for "second" or multiple setups this will not help us in this case.. Maybe something to take into accountSmiley Happy.

Regards,

Niek Eilering

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can also just specify the blank as an offset added to the design part, which works in most cases.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Learn online

Solution Information