Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-drilling holes for cavity milling

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey. I can't find the option to pre-drill a hole for cavity milling a pocket, to avoid engagement in solid material. Can I have at least a slight suggestion which option to use? I am using NX 10.

5 REPLIES

Re: Pre-drilling holes for cavity milling

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You need to drill holes with another operation first. And then select those drill points in the cavity milling:

Non cutting moves->Start/Drill Points Tab->Predrill points

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Sometimes you are better off setting the Non-Cutting moves - Engage - Closed area to Plunge and then create a drilling operation to drill where the system wants to engage rather than trying to force it to engage someplace else.  You can then re-order the operations.

This has always been a pain, IMHO

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing NX12.0

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks a lot for all of these responses. Actually, I've found the option "predrill points" in Cavity Milling even before asking. I just don't know how to manually make a hole in a certain place. I've tried many options, but all I've managed to do is a short plunge (5 mm drill, 0.5 mm of plunge), even though the top and bottom surfaces were chosen.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Being on same with @joycejo's suggestion, and assuming you are using old drilling ops, 

Try this on drilling operation window:

Edit parameters->Click OK->Click Depth->Choose "To Bottom Surface"->Click OK

1.png

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You can use Hole making or Legacy Drilling ( if you have it available)

For Holemaking - on the Feature Geometry use the Point dialog to select a point. where you want to drill from.  You will also need to override the depth values. 

I will sometimes still use the "Drilling" operations so I can control the Engage and Retract.

Sometimes it is worth it to create a point and use this as the point to drill from and start point for the operation.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing NX12.0

Learn online

Solution Information