Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-drilling holes for cavity milling

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey. I can't find the option to pre-drill a hole for cavity milling a pocket, to avoid engagement in solid material. Can I have at least a slight suggestion which option to use? I am using NX 10.

5 REPLIES

Re: Pre-drilling holes for cavity milling

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You need to drill holes with another operation first. And then select those drill points in the cavity milling:

Non cutting moves->Start/Drill Points Tab->Predrill points

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Sometimes you are better off setting the Non-Cutting moves - Engage - Closed area to Plunge and then create a drilling operation to drill where the system wants to engage rather than trying to force it to engage someplace else.  You can then re-order the operations.

This has always been a pain, IMHO

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace
Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks a lot for all of these responses. Actually, I've found the option "predrill points" in Cavity Milling even before asking. I just don't know how to manually make a hole in a certain place. I've tried many options, but all I've managed to do is a short plunge (5 mm drill, 0.5 mm of plunge), even though the top and bottom surfaces were chosen.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Being on same with @joycejo's suggestion, and assuming you are using old drilling ops, 

Try this on drilling operation window:

Edit parameters->Click OK->Click Depth->Choose "To Bottom Surface"->Click OK

1.png

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You can use Hole making or Legacy Drilling ( if you have it available)

For Holemaking - on the Feature Geometry use the Point dialog to select a point. where you want to drill from.  You will also need to override the depth values. 

I will sometimes still use the "Drilling" operations so I can control the Engage and Retract.

Sometimes it is worth it to create a point and use this as the point to drill from and start point for the operation.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace
Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Learn online

Solution Information