Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefering certain tool Types in tool selection

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

is there a way to prefer tool Types in the Tool selection with FBM?

So I would like to define priority for the tools in relation to the manufacturer.

In FBM I have some tools which are geometric same.

In the tool selection I would like to prefer a manufacturer. If that does not exist

an other tool should be searched ?

I thought about, to insert the manufacturer into the Tool Type at the tool_database and define

in the tool selection the manufacturer. But the systen would just search for one manufacturer.

Maybe someone knows an other solution - thank you

NX 11.0.1.11
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Prefering certain tool Types in tool selection

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the "text" tool libraries (e.g. %UGI_BASE_DIR%\MACH\resource\library\tool\...), or the MRL?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am using the text tool libraries.

NX 11.0.1.11

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Your question is a good one. As you mentioned, you can use conditions to find "applicable" tools. However, you cannot use conditions to define a relative preference or priority.

By default FBM will select the most stable tool (simplified that is the tool with the largest diameter & shortest length). 

We just recently developed an enhancement to the automatic tool selection that will allow users to specify their own priority rules (using TCL). This will allow you to prefer tools from e.g. your prefered tool supplier over those from alternative tool suppliers. To do that, you would obviously need to add the name of your tool supplier to the tool database (and you would have to write a bit of TCL code).

This brand new capability will be introduced in the upcoming NX12.0.2 version and is unfortunately NOT available for earlier versions of NX.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Genius
Genius
Hi Tom,

What a shame this will be only available in the upcoming NX12.0.2.

The migration to NX 11.0.2 was so exhausting that we are not considering to migrate to NX 12 soon. Could it be an option to share the TCL code mentioned in your post?
Salvador Peregrina
Manufacturing Team Leader| NX 12.0.2

Genius
Genius
Hi Muddi,

Yes, it is possible, you can use the manufacturer name or a flag that later on you will use in the MKE to select your tool.

A limitation is that you can not specify priorities, for that you will have to develop a TCL code to sort your tools according to your needs. I have been tempted to implement it due to the same limitation, but after a few tests, I have realised that the performance of NX while Creating Feature Process decreases drastically.
Salvador Peregrina

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Salvador,

thank you for your advise.

Do you define your flag in the tool type of the tool_database?

For me, it would be also interesting how to implement and use the TCL code for the

tools.

NX 11.0.1.11

Genius
Genius

Hi Muddi, 

In my case, it was simpler to add two columns to my tool_database.dat aiming to use these flags in the MKE for the tool selection. 

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

What I have tested in TCL is a custom program for the tool selection, this function opens, closes and filters the tool_database every time it is called, causing the poor performance I mentioned in my previous comment. Probably there is a better way to do it.

Salvador Peregrina

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Salvador_Pwrote:
What a shame this will be only available in the upcoming NX12.0.2.

I think that this change also includes additional source code for some DLLs, so the entire testing suite must be run against it.

@Salvador_Pwrote:
The migration to NX 11.0.2 was so exhausting that we are not considering to migrate to NX 12 soon.

The migration from NX 11.0.2 to NX 12.0.x should be much painless.

@Salvador_Pwrote:
Could it be an option to share the TCL code mentioned in your post?

As mentioned above the Tcl code might only be the top of the iceberg.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

For those interested in this enhancement, the core functionality is available in NX11.0.2 MP7.

Please contact me by private message in which you indicate your tool database type (ASCII, MRL, TDM, ...) and we'll let you know where and and how to add the few lines of TCL code.

Please note that you will need to make a few small changes to the TCL (< than 5 minutes of work) once you move to NX12.0.2 or or later. 

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information