Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem selecting a boundry

Experimenter
Experimenter

I’m going from nx 7.5 to nx 10. I was able to get my templates over to nx 10. I am currently putting the templates through the paces in nx 10 to make sure they are functioning properly. I created a boundary but when I go to my template and go to the “ specify part boundaries “  menu I select “boundary” but I am unable to select the boundary I created.  Is there a setting I need to change to be able to select that boundary? When I use the template in 7.5 I can select a boundry without a hitch.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Problem selecting a boundry

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

@Dan53 wrote:

I’m going from nx 7.5 to nx 10. I was able to get my templates over to nx 10. I am currently putting the templates through the paces in nx 10 to make sure they are functioning properly. I created a boundary but when I go to my template and go to the “ specify part boundaries “  menu I select “boundary” but I am unable to select the boundary I created.  Is there a setting I need to change to be able to select that boundary? When I use the template in 7.5 I can select a boundry without a hitch.

What exactly do you mean by "boundary"?

A group boundary object or a legacy "Permanent Boundary"?

How were you creating the boundary in 7.5?

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Experimenter
Experimenter

I hit ctrl alt c the boundary manager pops up. I then for example create a boundary around the edge of a 10 x 12 pocket.  I then go to my 2 inch roughing cutter template pick that boundary I created and tell it to cut inside of that boundary 3 inches deep. It’s just a quick way to rough a 2D pocket.

PLM World Member Phenom

OK That soulds like the legacy boundary. 

I don't know if that is still around, it may be buried someplace.  I have not used that in many versions and at least 10 years.  You can create the boundry as part of the operation and take advantage of using a face or edges.   Yes you can still use curves.  You can also use the curve rule to select Connected curves or Tangent curves. 

I have found this to be much a much faster and associative selection method.

If your going the use the same geometry for multiple operations you can create a boundary object and inherit that into multiple operations.  You should also look at the Floor and Wall and Face mill operaions.

Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect

I would forget about the boundary manager unless you have a really good reason. 

If you really need boundaries, use boundary geometry goups.

A general bit of advice - don't update your 7.5 templates. You will be using obsolete methods, and you will not see new features or UI items. Take the time to learn what is NEW in the last few years, update your processes, and then develop new templates.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the feedback. I looked into what you suggested as far as the floor/wall option and it works awesome. Thanks 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Mark I have taken your advice as far as taking the time to learn more about the new options. My company has been so busy for the past 5 years we haven’t had time to look into new options. I have the time now so I’m getting more involved. What I know about NX I pretty much self taught. My company provides no training. What is the best source to get information on new options? 

PLM World Member Phenom

You can access the help docs on line and look at the What's new docs.

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en/docs/nx/index.shtml

There are tons of videos on You tube some really good and some not so good.

The Siemens channel is good

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=siemens+plm

Do you have access to Learning Advaltage - Formerly CAST? (Siemens on line training courses)

You can also look into online training at www.myigetit.com

Senior Aerospace

Learn online

Solution Information