cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Tool Axis When Creating a MCS Geometry

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello there,

I have problem setting the tool axis when creating a MCS geometry. See the picture below.

MCS.JPG

There is a main MCS and a local MCS. Now I am trying to set the tool axis of the local MCS.

STRUCTURE.JPG

When I first created MCS_LOCAL, the tool axis is always the same as that of MCS_MAIN, even if I set it as +Z axis of MCS. (the golden arrow in the following picture)

Tool Axis.JPG

The tool axis stays the same even if I rotate the MCS_LOCAL.

Only when I change the tool axis to Fixed Axis, does the axis change as I set.

Capture.JPG

But if I change it back to +Z Axis of MCS, and rotate the MCS_LOCAL, the axis stays the same.

So how does this tool axis really work?

Thanks,

Kai

26 REPLIES

Re: Problem with Tool Axis When Creating a MCS Geometry

Legend
Legend

Hi Kai,

The Tool Axis configuration in the MCS dialog box is used to define the default tool axis for all operations associated in this MCS.

Please, see what says NX Help.

Untitled.png

Maybe you need use different option in Special Output.

When you use Use Main MCS, the system will ignore the local MCS and uses the Main MCS.

Usually uses the Fixture Offset or CSYS Rotation in the Special Output depending on your needs.

Untitled1.png

I hope its he

Jean Marcel
PLMPRO
www.plmpro.com.br

Select your MCS and look in the Details panel of the Operation Navigator. Is Tool Axis Type checked?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Mark,

It is greyed out. It doesn't allow me to check.

ToolAxisType.JPG

Thanks,

Kai

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

This mean that the tool axis type is inherited.

The details always show what is inherited, you can only enable inheritance here by checking the item and hitting OK.

To break inheritance, you need to open the CAM object and adjust the settings from within.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Stephan.

By CAM object, do you mean the operation?

Does it matter if the tool axis of the local MCS is different from that of the operation?

Just now I tried creating a MCS_LOCAL, the tool axis of which is in the local XM direction. Then I created an operation under this MCS, and set the tool axis to be in the local ZM direction. I can stiil generate the operation successfully.

Thanks,

Kai

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Jean.

Those are the options for NC program output. 

I am more concerned about how this tool axis affects the operations.

Thanks,

Kai

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

CAM object is any object that you see in the ONT, like program groups, tools, pockets, carriers, geometry groups, MCS groups, method groups, etc.

The details panel is listing the object parameters that can be inherited from any parent of the object up to the view root.

If one sets the tool axis in the MCS, the operations can inherit it, so he only needs to change the tool axis once for many operations.

If any setting is changed inside of the operation, then the inheritance is broken, like a broken wave link.

To relink the setting of the operation to the one from a parent, you check the setting in the details panel or, for many newer settings, change to inherited.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

The gray checkmark in the details panel indicates it is inheriting, and you cannot turn it off there. 

To turn it off, go in to the operation and set the tool axis to specify vector.

Now look in the details panel and the box will not be checked.

If you check it and then hit the big green check mark to apply, the inheritance is restored.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Kai_Xue wrote:

But if I change it back to +Z Axis of MCS, and rotate the MCS_LOCAL, the axis stays the same.

So how does this tool axis really work?

Thanks,

Kai

I just remembered this...

Changing the tool axis in the operation to the same as the MCS group (+Z MCS) does not turn the inheritance back on. You need to set it to a vector in the operation, then turn the inheritance on in the details panel. Now when you move the MCS group, the operation will inherit the new +Z.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information