Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program stops and points in air, against the part, fixture, or all the above. NX12.0.2.9

Pioneer
Pioneer

I’m looking for a way to program the 5-axis mill to go to a point and stop, with a ( M00 ), So the machine operator can get information, From the spindle location, than the operator can push start and then go to the next location and stop again. This is a minimum of 4 stop locations and can be many more. This is a rapid ( G01 ) movement and then a Stop ( M00 ). Also would like a rapid ( G00 ) to a Feed ( G01 ) movement to a Stop, next feed ( G01 ) followed by rapid ( G00 ). I would like all of this in one tool path with lots of locations.

Is there A tool path in NX12 that will let me select many points in space and a head angle or plane and make code that will do what I need. With adding in the needed stops ( M00 ) at each point.

I Do know about ( Point to Point ). NX12 this is no longer makeable from scratch, and we have to make a tool path for every point and two toolpaths for Feed ( G01 ) in and stop ( G00 ) and then a 2nd one for the Feed ( G01 ) out. This is 2 tool paths for one point.

We are programing in NX 10.0.3.5 and NX12.0.2.9

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Program stops and points in air, against the part, fixture, or all the above. NX12.0.2.9

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Generic Motion operations is what I would use to build what you describe.      I forget when it was made to work with "3" axis CAM license vs. 5 axis license.  NX 10 or 11.  But it has not been moved into the mill_contour or mill_planar group.   Look in the Mill-Multi-Axis area.

Re: Program stops and points in air, against the part, fixture, or all the above. NX12.0.2.9

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Turning (e.g. lathe rough) has the option of "Local return" (non-cutting moves).  Options are distance, time, number of passes.

Not sure if any of the mill operation types have something similar that's "associative"

All operations you can right-click on the op -> toolpath -> divide (but I think that the "divide" is lost when you regenerate the toolpath - did this get made asscoiative at some point?)

You can create a UDE & implement in the post, but it will take varying amounts of effort (particularly to avoid leaving tool marks as you re-engage)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

@Ken_A  Milling also has non cutting moves where you can define Return and Go home point in 'Avoidance'

But 'Generic Motion' in mill_multi_axis is suitable.

Pioneer
Pioneer
@Ken_A, in lathe I've been using Teach Mode to do this. I end of operations like Part Off, I've had good results using the Local Return, creating repostion of the next part and including Stop and another instruction. But in the first of the operations I've had better experience ith Teach Mode.
Engineer and NC Programmer
NX 12.0.2 mp11

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Original poster said:

I would like all of this in one tool path with lots of locations.

While teach mode & generic motion will work for "simple" turning and "3+2" machining, I'd hate to try to do something like cavity mill or surface contouring that way...Hence I was suggesting things that could be done automatically MANY times...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information