Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quickly generate folders in Program Order View

Creator
Creator

I'm looking for a fast, easy, way to generate folders in the program order view.  For example if I've just started programming Part# 1234, I would like folders generated:

1234_OP1_1

1234_OP1_2

1234_OP1_3

1234_OP1_4

We split programs up by tool, and lable our programs as such.  It can get tiresome creating and manually naming all of the folders.  Is there some way to create a macro or something that will do this for us?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES

You could write a journal for this. If you are not famili...

You could write a journal for this. If you are not familiar with that, I would use the renaming journal that we provide as a sample. 

First, create all the programs with the default names:

PROGRAM

PROGRAM_1

PROGRAM_2

PROGRAM_3

etc.

Next, select the root node NC_PROGRAM at the very top of the ONT, and run the journal RenameOperationsOntSelection.vb. Replace PROGRAM with 1234_OP1 and you're done.

You can find the journal in the UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\CAM

If you do this alot, I would do 2 things to make your life easier:

1. In the setup template, create 50 programs, or more than you will need. Then they will always be there when you create a new setup.

2. Add a button to a toolbar that points to the journal.

Then you would create a new setup, pick NC_PROGRAM, Pick the button.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Re: You could write a journal for this. If you are not famili...

Creator
Creator
Hi Mark, thanks for your answer. I actually figured this out a couple days ago but the website won't let you answer your own question.

I did use a journal, but took a slightly different approach. I found a tutorial online that had an example that would pop up a dialog box and accept user input. Then I recorded a Journal that created folders _1 through _30. I then hand edited the journal splicing in the code to pop up the dialog and store the user input in a variable. Then inserted the variable in the folder names. And I did create a button on the toolbar to access the journal as well. I love that NX is so customizable, I found this to be a very cool solution to my problem.

Learn online

Solution Information