cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feature Based Machining: Introduction

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello there,

I have created my own recognition rule using feature teaching. I also have the machining rule for the feature in FBM.

When I create feature process for multiple instances of the feature, NX put some instances in the same geometry group. But actually they have different lengths and should not be put in the same group.

I double clicked on the geometry group and found that NX used WIDTH, COLOR, etc. attributes as the classification criteria (they were toggled on), but didn't use LENGTH.

I was wondering how I can set the classification criteria in machining knowledge editor.

Thanks,

Kai

11 REPLIES

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Kai,

The classification criteria are generated for you by the software. At a high level, this is roughly what happens. Features with the exact same process (exact same set of operations and tools) are combined in one group. The software then compares the feature attributes (such as LENGTH, WIDTH, COLOR) of these features and adds classification criteria for each attribute that has the exact same value for each of the features in the group.You cannot directly control this through the Machining Knowledge Editor (MKE).

The LENGTH in your example is not set as a classification criteria because you have features with a different LENGTH value that still require the same process. So the conclusion is that the LENGTH does not directly determine/drive the process and is not a classification criteria.

You get multiple feature groups when one or more features require a different process (set of operations and tools).

We can try to provide a bit more help if you can share the example that you are working on.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Genius
Genius

Hi Kai,

as Dr. van 't Erve pointed out, you can not manipulate the classification criteria directly.

Instead focus on how FBM works. It is something like this:

1, For each feature, FBM tries to find a path through your machining rules until the BLANK feature type is found.

2. Then FBM analyses which features have exactly the same path. This means, they have the same chain of operations, with the same names, parameters, and so on.

When NX switched from the old hole making operation types to the new drilling (or hole machining of hole_making.prt) operations. Due to the use of the Machining_Area concept, you choose e.g. FACES_CYLINDER_1 to set the depth. This is the reason why all different depths in your case are covered by the same Feature Group and operation(s).

Solution: Take the mwf.DEPTH_1 value and assign it somewhere to the operation. Put it in the operations Name, Comment or somewhere else.

By this the operations will also differ with different depths and get correctly grouped by diffferent feature depths.

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I used the value of LENGTH in an Add-on rule as follows:

Name: o3

Type: NcmDefaultEngageClosed

Class: EngageRetract_Ramp_on_Shape

IF mwf.SUBTYPE = 0 THEN o3.Helical_Ramp_Angle = ATAN(o3.Move_Height / (2 * mwf.LENGTH))

Therefore, I think when the LENGTHs of the features are different, they should be classified into different groups, but they are not. I was wondering why.

Thanks,

Kai

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Joachim,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried adding an application criteria:

mwf.LENGTH > 0

or operation attributes like:

oper.Blank_Distance = mwf.DEPTH * mwf.LENGTH / mwf.LENGTH

but the features with different lengths are still classified into the same group.

Thanks,

Kai

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The feature groups group similar features together.

If the size of a pocket is different it can still be machined with the same set of operations and tools.

When you group features, you can select from multiple predefined application criteria sets.

Have you tried all of them?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.

The feature groups were automatically created when I "Create Feature Process" in FBM. I hope the process can be automatic.

Where can I find the multiple predefined application criteria sets?

Thanks,

Kai

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Starting with NX 10 there is a new entry in the context menu of the machining feature navigator, which allows to group the features manually before you apply a feature process.

In the create feature process dialog you have the ability to select "per feature" instead of "use existing" to get one geometry group for each feature.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Stefan.

I have checked out that new feature in NX 10 before, but we hope we can automate the process.

We would like to machine the featue with different lengths using different ramp angles.

We have found that there is "per feature" option, but in that way, we have to delete the feature that we don't want to be in a certain group and create the feature process for it seperately.

Thanks,

Kai

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Kai,

I am sure that we will be able to help you in more detail if you can share your test data.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information