Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Feature Based Machining: Introduction

IN NX cam , for planar mill operation can i use curves as a user defined geometry and generate operations using feature base machining ?

7 REPLIES

Hi,

The general answer to your question is that you cannot explicitly specify curves as input geometry in FBM for Planar Milling operations. FBM does allow you to specify an ADD-ON of type GeometryParent and class (e.g.) mill_planar.MILL_BND in which case the software will  automatically create the MILL_BND from the feature's faces.

You didn't provide any details about your use case, so this is just a rather general comment, but I would recommend to try and use a face based operation such as Floor Wall instead of a boundary based operation. FBM does provide a lot of control over which feature faces to use as Floor and Wall (even for your own customer specific feature types using Machining Areas). You can find details at:

Quickly add new feature definitions for feature-based machining

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Hello Tom,

In NX CAM, FBM can generate feature automatically. It also can teach which feature want to define. As you mentioned before that "use a face based operation". I would like to ask how to generate information in determining the face relationship such as which face adjacent/ concatenation each other.

Thank you.

Riona Ihsan Media
CAD/CAM Learner

Hi Riona,

NX CAM supports two different methods for you to teach your own feature types:

1. Use Teach Features from within NX CAM (see  my earlier link for an online demo)
  2. Use the Machining Knowledge Editor to create ColorAndAttributeRecognitionRule(s)

The face adjacency relationships are handled differently in these two methods.

For Teach Features, we automatically take the face types and face adjacency relations from the input faces that you specify. It's important to realize that a new feature type that is created using this method will always have the exact same number of faces as the input geometry and it will have the exact same face adjacency relations between the faces of the feature (the face adjacency relations between faces of the feature and non-feature faces does not have to be an exact match).

The ColorAndAttribute feature types are different. The face types and face adjacency conditions are defined explicitely here and this feature type supports a variable number of faces.

I realize that I am providing a very generic answer to your question. Please share an example if you want to drill down further; that will help in making the answers less generic.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Hi Tom,

I'm interested in the second methods using Machininng Knowledge Editor (MKE). In MKE, there are three tabs such as Feature Recognition, Feature Mapping, and Machining Knowledge. I would like to ask that is it possible to create a rule in Feature Recognition? Which means that if we would like to create rule to recognize besides the parametrics feature, can we apply that rule? For instance, rule for recognizing sculpture surface. Is it possible to make that rule in MKE?

Thanks,

Riona Ihsan Media

CAD/CAM Learner

Hi Riona,

Here are two AVI's (5 years old but still valid) that demonstrate the process of using the MKE to create your own ColorAndAttribute feature types & recognition rules and their corresponding machining rules.

The first AVI (FBM_NX75_ColorAndAttributeDemo_MKE.avi) shows what to do in the MKE.

The second one (FBM_NX75_ColorAndAttributeDemo_NX.avi) shows how an end-user would use these new recognition rules to automate (a portion of) his NC Programming tasks.

I hope this helps you get started.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Hi Tom,

ColorAndAttribute approach MKE can help me more in recognizing feature(s). However, it has limitation because we have to assign colors in many different faces.

My plan is doing recognition feature type by using rule library. As we know that in the MKE rule library there are five different tabs, Machining knowledge, Feature Recognition, Feature Mapping, Customization, and Function. In Feature Recognition library, which is used by the "Find Features" command to find the features in the parts models.

I would like to study standard features in recognition rule such as STEPS, SLOTS, POCKETS and so on. Unfortunately, those rules have encrypted definition. I would like to know that is there any possibility to write rule in different ways? What kinds of programming languages that can be used in MKE recognition rule library.

Thanks,

Riona Ihsan Media

CAD/CAM Learner

Hi Riona,

The language that we use to define the standard recognition rules for such features as STEPS, SLOTS, POCKET is not documented and only available for us in Development. We do not allow/encourage our customers to write such rules by themselves; sorry.

There are exactly two methods that allow you to add additional feature types as explained before:

- Feature Teaching from NX CAM

- Adding Color and Attributes features from the MKE

You can contact me directly if you can share an example that shows what you would like to accomplish and require any additional advice

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information