Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Track the Position of Chamfer Tools

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is it possible to create a system defined tracking point for milling cutter. This will be helpful in using inserted end mills on curved surfaces.

16 REPLIES

Genius
Genius
Hi Rudra,

If I understood what you want to do. That's possible.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help#uid:index_mfgmilling:common_tool_overview...

NX 11.0.2

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Salvador,

This shifting of Tracking point is useful for generating a tool path with tool radius compentation as it has to be used in Planar Profile only. But my intention is that is there some mechanism where we can shift tracking point of milling tool (especially inserted type milling tools) from centre to edge like where it can be used in say Cavity Milling operation and other operations too.

In inserted tools there is no centre line cutting like Solid carbide cutting tools. So it doesnot machine properly with Programme  output on curved surfaces as in Nx normally we get tool path output at centre tracking point  of an centre line cutting endmill.

I don't understand how non-center cutting tools are involved here. There are are some parameters to avoid cutting with the relieved end, such as the max helical diameter - is this what you are trying to control?

Tracking points can be used as a drive point to position that point on the tool at a position. The output of center or contact or some other tracking point is independent of this.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Mark,

Attaching the 2 different machining verification. What I intent is that How can I get the tool parh in 1st case as of the 2nd case. Some times in 1st case of machining, we dont get a good surface on job eith inserted type tools.

Hope I am able to explain my doubt.

1.jpg2.jpg

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Mark -

I think what he's trying to say is that the regular end mills are "center cutting" end mills (i.e. you can plunge with them) but the inserted ones aren't (i.e. you need to satisfy the minimum engagement angle?)

By cutting "off center", he can use the inserted tools (if he's careful).

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Ken_A for expounding.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Hi, Rudra!
If you want to generate toolpath as for "edge centeted" mill - just add 0.00001 lead angle. Thats all.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Mr Yuri,

For machining on top of the curved surface I am using contour area method. In this type where can I change the value of  lead angle.

If you can use Curve/Point drive method, then there is a "Tool Contact Shift" option to do this. I'm not sure where else this is implemented.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information