cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recognizing Features Even When Configuration File is Set as cam_general.dat

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello there,

I am creating operations (e.g. hole making) for my workpiece. I set both Configuration File and Template Set File as cam_general in Manufacturing Preferences. 

When I create the operation, I go to Specify Feature Geometry, then I select a feature (e.g. a hole). After that, the status line shows that "Recognizing Feature". Then I hit OK, and go to Machining Feature Navigator. I can find a machining feature is created there. 

We are using NX 10.0.3.5 MP4. I am wondering if this is new in NX 10.

Thanks,

Kai

4 REPLIES

Re: Recognizing Features Even When Configuration File is Set as cam_general.dat

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The new drilling operations introduced with NX 9 are utilizing the same machining features as FBM does.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Kai,

You are probably experiencing the following use case:

- You change the CAM configuration using the Preference -> Manufacturing menu

- You select a feature

- You perform Create Feature Process

- The software recognizes additional features (you don't expect this as part of the Create Feature Process command).

The basic, as-designed, behavior is that you can use Create Feature Process (typically the command from the ribbon) to do a 1 button click workflow (find the features and create the operations for them).

There is an obscure (incorrect) behavior in the software where features get de-selected (only once) after you change the CAM configuration (there is a known PR for that). As a result, no features are selected and the software performs this single button process and does feature recognition first.

The simple workaround is to:

- Change the CAM configuration

- Start the Create Feature Process command (notice that the previously selected feature was deselected) but don't execute it yet

- Re-select the feature(s) in the Machining Feature Navigator

- Click OK on the Create Feature Process dialog

I hope this helps.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Tom,

We are just trying to create an operation manually without FBM, but the software still tries to recognize the feature that I select in the operation as an FBM machining feature, and added a new machining feature in the Machining Feature Navigator.

That is basically what happened. Please see the attached video.

Thanks,

Kai

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Kai,

Please ignore my previous post; I completely misunderstood what you were explaining. The AVI helped to get me back on track. The feature recognition that you see happening in the back-ground is by design !!

There are 3 basic Feature Based Machining workflows:

1. "Maximum" automation: as a user, you do Find Features followed by Create Feature Process
  2. "Medium" automation: as a user, you do Find Features followed by Group Features. You than have to manually add your operations under the feature groups
  3. "Minimum" automation: here you create both your feature groups (optional hole_boss_geom) and your operations manually. But even in this last workflow all the operations from the hole_making template are still "feature based". When you select geometry, the software will first check if there already is an existing machining feature that it can re-use, if not, then it will perform feature recognition (limited to the STEPPED feature types) and it will create a feature for you if it can.

I hope that explains what you are seeing.

Note that this is independant from your CAM configuration. This is the build-in behavior for the hole_making operations.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information